How do I dry out a Swan Gourd?

suebot(6CT)October 31, 2005

Hi All,

I bought a beautiful Swan (it looks just like a swan) gourd in Vermont about 2 weeks ago and have it sitting out on my front porch. I want to dry it out and turn it into a bird house. Should I bring it inside before it freezes? How do I go about drying it? How long does it take? Any advice would be so helpful. Do I make the holes for the birds now or wait until it has dried out?

Please respond to sbot@ur.com.

Thanking you in advance,

suebot

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bcrazy(z7cenAr)

See the drying post about two posts down. Most of that will apply. Don't drill holes til gourd is completely dry, or it will rot. It has to feel like balsa wood. It can take a few weeks to a few months. Has to dry from inside out, so some take longer than others. Freezing will not hurt it, but I have read that the seeds will not be viable for planting it they freeze before drying. The nice pretty green skin will turn to a horrible scummy mouldy appearence. This is a normal part of the drying process. As long as your gourd is solid and not thin shelled, it will turn out OK and will eventually dry completely. Good luck.

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 7:23AM
More Discussions
? for birdhouse gourd expert growers
Just for giggles I bought a $2 pack of birdhouse gourd...
donnywayne1
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
New England Orange Hubbard Pumpkin
When a New England Blue Hubbard Squash is pollinated...
acorneti
HAVE: Round Robin SquashSwap
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg011538403422.html?6...
fresc1000
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™