Driest, most string free squash

sndkOctober 3, 2013

So I had a blue hubbard and didnt realize winter squash could be so good. It was relatively fresh so not very sweet, which is a plus for me. This got me experimenting with all the different types i could find to find something that perhaps is drier, and more potato like than the hubbard.

Does such a squash exist? Is this what cushaw is like? I saw a reference to kabocha being the driest string free fruit is this true?
Looking for shorter season Dry flaky flesh once baked up
string free
a little sweetness as possible.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beesneeds(zone 6)

I've rather liked kabocha for a dry squash. It is rather dryer and denser in grain for the flesh than say an acorn squash.

Cushaw to my understanding and experience has a texture a bit more suited for pie making than mashed potato- it has a fine dense grain sort of like a step between kabocha and butternut. It's a bit less sweet than butternut IMO.
Banana squashes are good too.

When looking for seeds for dry fleshed squashes, note kinds that are are known for being long keepers. I've found in general the seriously long keeping squashes usually are the ones that are the best for potato substitutes.

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 4:50PM
farmerdill

Concur: hubbard types, Buttercup types, kabocha types tend to be the driest and best keepers although many of the C. moschata will compete. If you want an acorn size with hubbard taste and keeping qualities try Gold Nugget. Butternut types are IMO the best sweet potato substitutes.As for stringiness, newer introductions tend to be less stringy than the antiques.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 1:32PM
Sid23

I have not grown many varieties of squash, usually Kobacha or buttercup. Have lately grown Red Curry and found it to be very dry but tasty. Not stringy at all. Now one of my favorite to grow.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 8:39PM
greenelephant(Woodinville WA)

All the above mentioned winter squash are the species Cucurbita maxima. They have the fat stem. The maximas are the dry string free species. The butternuts belong to species C. moschata. And the acorns, delicatas, jack-o-lanterns, zuchinis, and most summer squash belong to the species C. pepo. The pepos tend to be string and wetter. E.g. spaghetti squash is a C. pepo.

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
? for birdhouse gourd expert growers
Just for giggles I bought a $2 pack of birdhouse gourd...
donnywayne1
'Jutras Apple' Winter Squash
We have selected many Cucurbita maxima ''Turk' Turban''...
acorneti
Courge-Fri
Courge-fritter in palm butter are far more healthy...
acorneti
HAVE: Round Robin SquashSwap
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg011538403422.html?6...
fresc1000
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
Sponsored Products
Super Duty Casa Marseille Bronze 4-Piece LED Landscape Set
Lamps Plus
Henri Studio Medium Rock Falls Fountain
Lamps Plus
Sandy Corners Rug
$107.99 | Dot & Bo
Joy Carpets Motivation Mat Area Rug - 1407-B
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Geometric Maize/Cream Tufted Pile Rug by Thomas Paul
$390.00 | Lumens