Grasses for fall and winter interest

SusanBachman(6)October 27, 2013

I am thinking of planting some grasses next year for fall and winter interest. I live in Pennsylvania, zone 6. I would like nice plumes and grasses that billow in the wind. About 4 feet tall maybe. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
achnatherum(z4or3 Ontario)

There are LOTS of choices out there for tall billowy grasses. Local climate will have a lot to do with which ones will provide you with the best winter showing. I will be interested to hear what other posters in your area recommend.
Some of it has to do with the structure of the grass. Molinias & Spodiopogon are 'almost designed' to fall over with the addition snow.
Some of the native grasses must be grown on lean/poor soil to be able to stand up to wet &/or snowy weather. (sunny exposure is a big factor as well)

I have gardened with grasses in zone 5 SW Ontario where we have 'on again, off again' winters with a mix of heavy snowfalls & freezing rain. Now I garden in a more northerly area with huge amounts of snow & that, always challenging, early snowfall that is wet & heavy.
What works the best for me?
#1 Calamagrostis arundinacea Karl Foerster - or any of the other cultivars are real troopers in all seasons
#2 Some Miscanthus sinensis cultivars. For winter durability & waving plumes, Miscanthus sinensis 'Roland' out performs all the others for me. This is surprising since it is a bit of a floppy grass until the culms dry off.

Not as much on the billowing but excellent winter interest:
#3 & #4 Panicum virgatum cultivars & Schizachirium sp. (little blue stem) provide fabulous winter interest.

A.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 8:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

A late response, but I think the most gorgeous of all the grasses I grow is Miscanthus 'Morning Light'. And the most amazing thing about it is that even after it is absolutely flattened by snow or ice, when the stuff melts off, it springs right back, unlike any of the other grasses. One year it did it 3 times.

Also remaining upright except in extraordinarily heavy ice, is Erianthus ravennae, Ravenna grass. Little blue stem is also lovely when backlit, but if you have much snow, it will be covered up most of the winter.

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
Miscanthus sinensis Advice
Hello, I want to plant some Miscanthus grass on the...
nick0001
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Linon Home Decor Rugs Athena Natural and Brown 2 ft. 6
Home Depot
Sea Grass Corsica Utility Basket
$39.99 | zulily
Weston Cast Iron Wheat Grass Juicer
Overstock.com
Cassandra 10 Ceiling Flush Mount
Lightology
Shires Equestrian Nylon Grazing Muzzle - 495N-BLACK-COB
$27.95 | Hayneedle