Miscanthus in Mobile Alabama

auhort1990(8a)October 27, 2005

Hello, I am trying to find out if Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus' will live in Mobile Alabama. We have a project down there and right now they have Panicum virgatum 'Switchgrass' specified. I have absolutely no experience with Switchgrass and the only pics I can find of it make me think it looks weedy...apologies to those who may love this grass. Anyway, I have tried to replace the switchgrass with Miscanthus but the LA in charge is saying it will not live in Mobile. Everything I can find on the miscanthus says it is hardy to zone 9. Does anyone have any experience with this particular Miscanthus in lower alabama or the gulf coast? Or any other information on the Switchgrass will be appreciated also.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

One of my ornamental grass books says that 'Gracillimus' will "suffer" in warm, humid SE climates. I'm not sure what that means, but it does specifiy it. Other Miscanthus cultivars might be more suitable.

I'd check the library for some OG books, and browse through them. You'll find several cultivars of Panicum that are more attractive than the basic Switchgrass, and many other cultivars of Miscanthus.

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 2:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
auhort1990(8a)

Thanks for you reply Donn. I just got off the phone with a nursery in Semmes Al., which is down near Mobile and they have been growing and selling Gracillimus for years. She has assured me the it will do great down there.

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
my pink pampas grasses
hello again.........I posted my disaster in the spring...
casagrande
Carex Comans 'Frosty Curls' turning brown yellow
I have searched a bit on this subject and have not...
ersh
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
Pennisetum Advena/Setaceum Rubrum
Hi. I recently fell in love with the above grasses...
kaydarling
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™