New Pumpking Garden

Kelby MillerOctober 14, 2013

(Wish I could edit "Pumpking" to "Pumpkin". I started typing "Garden before hitting space. Doh!)

I want to create a pumpkin garden for next year but I have a few questions before I start.

I want to have about 30-50 (my first time so that is just a dream number) jack-0-lantern pumpkins and another patch for some gourds and squash.

I don't want just a big square or rectangle garden so I've searched for some designs and I really like this one:

I know it won't be able to look exactly like that but I was hoping to get somewhere close. For the 4 wider beds, how long/wide do you think they should be. I figure they will house the jack-o-lantern pumpkins. Also, for the long skinny bed, how long/wide should that be? I figure that will be for the squash/gourds.

If you don't think this design will work at all please let me know. I'm also open for any other suggested pumpkin garden designs as well.

Not the best picture but here is where it will be going:

I want it next to my peach trees and the area here is actually very large.

This post was edited by Kelby232 on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 13:02

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccabal(7)

Pumpkin vines are HUGE!! They can spread out easily 20ft or more, in all directions. My problem has always been my yard is too small :(
So if you plant them on bed like shown above, they will very quickly grow past the beds and expand into the grass. Pumpkins like to root along the ground, where the vines touch the ground, so I would recommend removing as much grass as possible and making one real big bed. Then you can have your plants either radiate from the center, or plant them in one end and "train" them to grow towards the other end. Letting them root is important cause it makes the vines stronger, and helps them survive if the main vine is damaged, either accidentally or by squash vine borers.
I would not count on more than 2 pumpkins per vine. So you might need to plant at least 15 vines to get your 30 pumpkins.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 4:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccabal(7)

Oh, and regarding the squash, if your talking "summer squash", most varieties tend to be "bush-type" and don't spread out as much. But the vining types can also get big too!
Pumpkins and squash are really the same species, just different varieties.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
Argentine Primitive
Who sells or swaps seed of Cucurbita maxima 'Argentine...
acorneti
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Indoor Pumpkin Plant
Here is my pumpkin plant fully grown indoors with its...
gregplantaine7
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
Sponsored Products
Garden Party | Wall Outdoor Wall Light
YLighting
Raw metal wall clock 19.5"
Origin Crafts
Artemis Pendant by WAC Lighting
$279.00 | Lumens
Brass Accented Copper Garden Torch with Traditional Yard Stake - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Braided Accent Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Botanical
$59.97 | Home Depot