Question about planting squash and pumpkins

boothc9October 14, 2009

Hi everyone. I have a quick question.

When planting summer and winter squash should I let two plants grow right next to each other (within inches)? I was taught to only grow one plant in a particular space as to avoid root competition. However, I cam across some information telling me to keep two seedlings of squash after thinning. I was thinking this would be a good way to keep them from getting so huge. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

I still use the "hill"method of planting squash. 2-3 plants perhill seems to work fine if the "hills" are sufficiently far a part. Cuts down on replanting and thinning when conditions are not optimum. Trick is to give them adequate room over all. Vining squash can take a lot of room.

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 11:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyrus_gardner(8)

Hear it from the expert! Farmerdilla said it.

Two to three seedlins per hill (I prefer 2, separated by about 5 inches), spacing each hill from all other neighboring hills by about 18". If you are a Square foot gardener, draw grids (like chessboard) that has square of 18 inches per side. Plant your seedsseedings at the center of squares. But if you plant them in rows, then space between rows will be more than 18". maybe 24".

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 10:41PM
More Discussions
Melon-gresskar 'Mandela'
Cucurbita maximelo "Nelson Mandela's Sun"...
acorneti
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™