drying gourds / HELP Gene/anyone!!!

GardenKiwi(Z5 Michigan)October 16, 2006

Soninlaw grew some gourds for me and he brought them to our home yesterday. There are about 50! We have a deck and between the boards there are spaces about 14" plus apart - has anyone dried gourds on a deck before? Would they dry ok there or should I go try to round up pallets to put on the deck? The gourds are looking terrific at present I just want to check on what they are sitting on out there.

Cheers - Rita in Michigan zone 5

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gourd_friends(z5/6 IL)

go ahead and dry them on the deck. Its the same effect - good air circulation. Just don't let them fall through the 14" gaps. (was that a typo??)

good luck,

Jan

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 4:13PM
GardenKiwi(Z5 Michigan)

Oh gee - of course that was a typo!!!
That was supposed to read 1/4" (one quarter of an inch).

Thanks Jan for the assurance on leaving them on the deck ... I was hoping that would be ok. I have a large fishing net but didn't want to hang that out under the pergola as the gourds would roll into the middle and I don't know if that would have been good for them or not. Now - I hope the squirrels and other beasties keep away from the gourds - they look perfect now! The deer ate some down in the garden.

Rita in Kalamazoo Michigan

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 7:34PM
genepa

Hi Rita, A deck is fine for drying. That's where I have the ones that I harvested so far. I do move them around a little because with rain and/or dew, moisture developes under them. I also drill 1/8 inch holes in the bottom of my gourds because it speeds up drying. There again the gourds should be moved slightly every other day because a puddle of gourd juice collects under them. I can't believe that several of my gourds are dried and cured already. I think one of the pix on my picturetrail site shows gourds from this year drying on my deck. Good luck! P.S. If you really want to dry/cure your gourds fast and not have them covered with stained mold splotches, try the water/rot method. Gene

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 11:49PM
More Discussions
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
Squash varities
Hi! I've never cared much for squash, mostly due to...
HollowOakFarm
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™