Drying Gourds

tifflj(6 Pitts, PA)October 15, 2012

Hello all! I am a member of the houseplant forum, newbie as well. They directed me to this forum.

This past weekend my kids and I went to a pumpkin patch and picked pumpkins and gourds. This was our first year. My MIL said I could dry the gourds and keep them forever. But she wasnt sure how.

Can anyone tell me from expereince what is the best way?

I have heard to do this outside as the smell is awful. But I also heard not to put them on the ground as they will rot. So I just dont know what to do.

Here is a pic of what I got this past weekend.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

Those are ornamental gourds. There is another species called hard shelled gourds that last forever and are used for crafting. The ones you have often rot away or become brittle. Though some do dry. Since it sounds like the whole concept is new to you I want to know that they lose their color and become brown and moldy.

Here is a picture of what you can expect:

You really don't need to do anything you just wait and they'll either last or they won't. Just enjoy them until you don't need them or they start molding then place them in a well ventilated area like a shed. If you have a lot of critters they will destroy them to get to the seeds.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 5:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tifflj(6 Pitts, PA)

Thank you for responding. I took them outside for decoration. Thats a bummer. I was real excited to have pretty gourds every years.. Oh well. Cant have it all I guess.

Thanks again so much

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
Fresh -dried Ugu(Fluted Pumkin leaves,pods,and seeds available
I have ample supplies of ugu leaves and seeds for sale.Please...
cliff-brazil
Squash varities
Hi! I've never cared much for squash, mostly due to...
HollowOakFarm
? for birdhouse gourd expert growers
Just for giggles I bought a $2 pack of birdhouse gourd...
donnywayne1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™