Fountain grass and pampas grass

albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)October 1, 2012

I pictures some fountain grasses look like the pictures of pampas grass. Do the common names overlap? With regard to the larger grasses, if one is just driving by and sees a grass one likes is there a way to know which to ask for?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

There is no overlap between real Pampas Grass (Cortaderia) and Fountain Grass (Pennisetum). The smallest Pampas Grass is much larger and has much larger flowers than the largest Fountain Grass.

The best way to learn to ID the larger grasses from a drive-by is to study Google Images. A few to look up would be Cortaderia selloana, Miscanthus sinensis, Panicum virgatum, Saccharum ravennae, Arundo donax and Sporobolus wrightii.

Get to know things like their foliage height, flowering height and time of flowering. This will help you to name what you see while driving by.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 6:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Albert, if you are really in Sunset zone 2 or 3, I doubt what you are seeing is pampas grass - it is not hardy below USDA zone 7 (dwarf varieties maybe to zone 6), which translates roughly to Sunset 4.

The other varieties Donn lists should be hardy to at least USDA 6, some lower. I would think these species would be more common in your area than the Cortaderia.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Can anyone ID the plant
I saw a beautiful grass outside a mall. Does anyone...
Chipeony
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™