SW MI and Miscanthus Senensis

arjayvee(Z5 SW Michigan)October 18, 2005

Hi,

We are new to SW Michigan and we live in a sand-dune area - all sand. We really like ornamental grasses, especially the Miscanthus varieties (gracimillus, etc.). In much of our front yard, we will be planting dune grass. However, we would like to surround the dune grass area with interesting pockets of tall ornamental grasses.

Should we be building "enclosures" where we can remove much of the sand and add topsoil for the ornamental grasses or should we simply amend the area where the ornamental grasses will go?

I have heard that care should be taken when amending as the dune grass does not like to see its sandy environment "polluted" with topsoil, etc.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much,

Arjayvee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

If your soil is truly 100% sand, I would amend the ornamental grass planting areas with plain old soil, not too rich. My 'topsoil' is about 50% sand, and the OG's seem to like it. Dig a planting pocket for each plant, at least twice as deep and twice the circumference of the rootball. Fill the bottom with the amended soil, and backfill around the rootball with it.

Bookmark   October 18, 2005 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
Northwinds planting in Central TX
I am considering planting a dozen or so Northwinds...
jscaldwell
Fall Planting?
I was told that its much better to plant OG in the...
juniemarie46
Experience with Panicum 'Northwind?'
Hello, I have a spot in my front foundation bed I am...
petal_88
Plant identification
Could anyone identify what this grass name is
nancy0852
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™