Drying/Harvesting Tennessee Spinner Gourds

suec_2October 2, 2008

Help, I planted a bunch of Tennessee Spinner Gourd seeds and had a great batch grow on our dog's fence. I'm not sure what variety of gourd spinner gourds are, so I'm not sure how to harvest or dry them. I was planning to just treat them like the larger hardshell gourds and let them dry on the vine/fence. Can I do this with the spinner gourds? I live in Illinois, if that makes a difference. Thanks, Sue C

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gourd_friends(z5/6 IL)

Hi Sue C,
Yes, you can let the little spinners dry on the vine. They won't take long, maybe a month or two. You can also cut them from the vine, leaving about an inch of stem. Just put them in a basket so they'll get plenty of air circulation and they will dry just fine.
We are in SE central Illinois, and our gourds, big and small are drying on the vine already.

Jan

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 9:52PM
suec_2

Thank you, Jan.

Bookmark   October 10, 2008 at 7:25AM
farmerdilla

The Tennessee Dancing gourd is sometimes referred to as the spinner gourd because it has been used to the the traditional spinning Tops of yesteryear. If so it is a squash (C. pepo) as are most of the small ornamental gourds. Jan's advice still applies. The shells when dry are of course much more fragile than the hard shelled ( Lagenaria) gourds.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
'Jutras Apple' Winter Squash
We have selected many Cucurbita maxima ''Turk' Turban''...
acorneti
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™