When to re-pot blueberries?

m5allenMay 1, 2012

This is my first time posting on this forum.

I have a couple different varieties of southern highbush blueberries. Right now, they are in 3 gallon black plastic nursery pots. I bought some 15" terra cotta pots and want to transplant them.

Most of what I have read says to transplant in the winter when they are dormant. Is this correct? I figured they would do best when they are in active growth mode, when we are getting the summer rains.

Should I transplant now, wait until the summer rains come, or wait until winter. I really don't want to wait until winter because I want to get some good growth out of them. But I am a bit afraid of the stress of re-potting in the summer sun. But I guess I could put them in the shade for a couple of days after the transplant.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

You can transplant them now. Just make sure you keep them moist and I would let them have only morning sun for a few days.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 8:09AM
m5allen

Thanks bamboo, it seems that you are the resident expert on the berries.

What do you think about this�I would prefer to re-pot now, but you know May is a tough month in FL because it is hot but we don�t yet get the summer rains. I am nervous about using my well water to keep the re-potted plants moist. I just had my well water tested and it came out to a PH reading of about 6, which isn�t too bad I guess, but still not ideal for blueberries. I have been putting some vinegar in the well water, but I don�t have a PH test kit at home, so I don�t know what affect the vinegar is having on the well water.

Do you think it would be better to wait about a month when the plants will hopefully be getting watered with rainwater?

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 4:22PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Wow PH 6 I am green with envy. I would not worry about potting them now at all. I still have 3 1 gallon potted plants I am holding to replace two gulf coast blueberries when they get done fruiting. I have been watering them daily with my PH 7+ water and they are fine. Sooner you get those plants in the new pots the faster they will take off. Adding a little vinegar to the water would be fine or give them your leftover coffee.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 7:30PM
More Discussions
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
drich30099
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™