varieties that produce lots of small, winter squash

rayama(7b Birmingham, Al)October 7, 2009

I'm looking for recommendations for varieties of winter squash that produce lots of small squash. I'm mainly feeding my mom and I, so 4 pounds of squash is a lot. I have Early Butternut from Parks, and those were smallish but not very productive.

Is there something you can do to the plant or the soil to encourage lots of small squash? I plant basil near my squash, so I have lots of bees all over the flowers, and I fertilize with both a Osmocote and compost.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Look for small fruit size in the types you like. The bigger the fruit the fewer there will be of them. If SVB is a problem, the smaller butternuts are your best best. Acorns and Delicatas when protected from SVB are normally high yielding. There are also a few C. maximas (buttercup types) that are small and prolific/ Gold Nugget comes to mind.

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 6:04PM
liisa_rwc(10b Bay Area CA)

rayama,

I tried Small Wonder Spaghetti Squash this year and they did very well. Two plants yielded 17 squash. I have only picked one so far and it came in at 2 pounds and nice flavor. There are photos on my blog...

Liisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Showing posts with label Spaghetti Squash

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 3:40PM
sheryl_ontario(Muncho Lake, BC z2)

Acorn squash is smaller and is usually easy to grow. You may need to hand pollinate to get a lot of squash. I find that I have lots of blooms but very few squash is I don't hand pollinate them.

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 5:47PM
howden777(7)

Thelma Sanders sweet potato squash is an acorn type that is supposed to be HIGHLY productive with very good flavor. I've not tried this one yet but am planting it this spring. You can find it at Seed Savers Exchange and Bakers Creek.

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 4:21PM
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

I agree with Liisa. I tried the Small Wonder Spaghetti Squash last year and was quite pleased. They also keep well - I ate one yesterday.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spaghetti Squash posts/photos

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 12:59AM
rockguy(7a)

I had a neighbor that planted butternuts really close and all he got were small squash, 3-4 inches.

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 10:54AM
macmex

Years ago I used to grow Ponca Butternut. The vines were about 6' long and they produced a smaller butternut squash in abundance. It's a good one.

George

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Melon-gresskar 'Mandela'
Cucurbita maximelo "Nelson Mandela's Sun"...
acorneti
Can't decide what to plant, help!
Ok, so we are a squash loving household. As in grew...
beesneeds
New Blue Banana
Guatemala and other blue banana squash fruits are known...
acorneti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™