Dangerous molds in gourds?
This is my first year growing gourds and I grew a nice six foot long handled dipper that I have been trying to dry. I cut it open and took out the seeds after a couple weeks, then scraped it out the best I could and set it to dry in the sunny window. However it began to grow white fuzzy mildew and black mildew, so I washed it out with a bleach solution and put it out in direct sun on the white driveway. It dried quite quickly t hen however the handle is mildewing up inside the end where I cannot get bleach intoit without cutting another hole into the stem which I am trying to avoid. Now someone told me that he mildews that gourds grow can be very dangerous and that I should be wearing a mask when I work with them. Is there any way to keep them from mildewing? What do you treat yours with if they do? Do I have to bore a hole in the end of the stem to let the bleach get through or is there some other method. I am allergic to mold, so I really dont want to let it mildew then clean it. I would appreciate any suggestions. I am also looking for Tobacco box and Bushel Basket, I have some nice gourds to trade if you check out my list. Thanks. Lisa