Grass flowers are not dull, instead they glow in ultraviolet

GrassesOctober 13, 2013

Recent study published in Nature Scientific Reports 'UV induced visual cues in grasses' describes a novel finding of fluorescence emissions from the reproductive structures of grasses. Grasses are a critically important family as it includes cereals (rice, wheat, maize), millets (bajra, ragi), bamboos and fodders. They are vital food sources for humans and animals. Grass flowers are least attractive ('dull') in visible light. In this study, we showed that grass flowers and reproductive structures are very attractive in ultraviolet through their fluorescence emissions. We proposed these blue emissions from grass reproductive structures as enticing visual cues to pollinators (bees, other insects), seed dispensers (birds) and predators (birds, rats). We also found out the chemical molecule behind these blue emissions from grass reproductive structures. Again, grasses are considered as wind pollinated. But, our study provides strong evidence towards insect pollination in grasses. Our findings could also attract more research leading to the discovery of novel molecular or fluorescence-based pest, weed control measures in future.

Reference: UV induced visual cues in grasses. Nature - Scientific Reports doi: 10.1038/srep02738 (OPEN ACCESS). (http://www.nature.com/srep/2013/130924/srep02738/full/srep02738.html)

Here is a link that might be useful: Grasses glow

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Fascinating.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Miscanthus sinensis Advice
Hello, I want to plant some Miscanthus grass on the...
nick0001
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™