what o'grass to plant in hellstrips?

lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)October 21, 2005

I'm looking for oramental grasses that grow to be 3'x3' or so in the hellstrip to liven things up. I recently found out I can't plant trees so that's why I'm looking into oramental grasses as an alternative. Any recommendations? I don't know very much about these grasses. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pezhead

Go out to a local library or good bookstore and take a look at a good book on ornamental grasses. There you will find all sorts of pictures and descriptions of what conditions they will take and what size they will attain etc. The web is also good if you visit a good nursery's website and look at pictures of different grasses and read what they like.

If your in Texas and your planting in a "hell strip" (new term for me) will you be giving them regular water their first season and semi-regular in the hottest periods thereafter? Miscanthus sinensis 'Arabesque' may get both taller and wider than 3x3 -- more like 4x4 perhaps. Miscanthus sinensis 'Graziella' will be about 3' wide but more like 6 feet tall in flower. Miscanthus sinensis 'Adagio' is about 3-4' tall and perhaps 3-4' wide. Miscanthus like full sun, but Texas sun can be altogether different from what I recall. You could coonside a native grass planting with rocks and small drought tolerant shrubs. Check what's native to your hot open grounds.

Bookmark   October 22, 2005 at 12:16AM
dereks(6 Utah)

There is a grass called Muhlenbergia capillaris. It is close to the size you want and can handle harsh conditions. Very drought and heat tolerant.

Bookmark   October 29, 2005 at 11:32AM
pezhead

dereks suggestion is a good one!

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Starting Miscanthus grass from seed
Wanting to know if it's possible for us to sow some...
candicenovitzke
Pennisetum Advena/Setaceum Rubrum
Hi. I recently fell in love with the above grasses...
kaydarling
Sponsored Products
Hobnob 23" Planter with Lid
Grandin Road
Cactus! Tea or Sugar Sachet Holder by Alessi
$66.00 | Lumens
Botanical Leaf Ring Catch
$69.00 | Horchow
30'' Brown Cameo Deck Planter
$9.99 | zulily
Oak Leaf Nature Hook
Signature Hardware