Warty Squash & Lumina Pumpkin Recipes

rober49(5 St Louis)October 29, 2009

I have this warty pumpkin looking squash. i forgot its name. anyone have any ideas about cooking it? i'm thinking about roasting it 1st. then using 1/2 for soup & 1/2 for?????

Also wondering what to do with the luminas

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

I'm not sure about the eating quality of a Lumina, but I bet it's about like a regular Jack O Lantern pumpkin, which is fair. With both of these I'd recommend that you split them in half, scoop out the seeds and lay the halves, face down, on a cookie tray. Then bake until you can easily penetrate them with a fork. Scoop out the flesh and ... you're ready to eat, or use it in recipes. If the flesh is stringy you can run it through a blender or food processor, which will improve the texture.

The resulting flesh can be used just like winter squash, for any pumpkin/squash recipe. Below is a link to a thread on winter squash recipes.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Squash recipes

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 7:41AM
rober49(5 St Louis)

thanks for the link. i found some other recipes online as well but it's always good to deal with 1st hand experience. i also bought some small ( winter squash sized ) squash that are a creamy white with wide green vertical stripes. i split them, removed the seeds, & roasted them face down on a cookie sheet. even unseasoned these things are like candy. they are unbelievably tasty! i going to have to keep track of the names of these squash so that i can name what i'm looking. i also have 2 french squash that are green with faint orange vertical striped & are pumpkin shaped & are about twice the size of a softball.

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 3:45PM
whgille(FL 9b)

rober

I made this lasagna with my pumpkins. Everybody loved it!

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: pumpkin lasagna

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™