Grass in container ?

christine1950October 19, 2013

I've had this grass in the pot since I was given a tiny piece in early summer, she's done really well I think and now I need to know what should I do with it? Next summer I will be able to plant it in the ground. I do have a screened in patio so should I leave it outside in the pot for the winter or bring it into the patio?
Thanks for any advice, I'm looking forward to it taking off next year in the spring.
Christine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

This is one that's hard to ID without the blooms. Did it bloom for you during the summer? If so, what did the blooms look like?

Things it could be:

Phalaris arundinacea var. picta
Gardener's Garters
Zone 4

Carex morrowii maybe 'Ice Dance'
Variegated Sedge
Zone 5

Liriope muscari variegata
Variegated Lilyturf
Zone 5

As you can see, you are at or near the bottom of the hardiness range for any of these plants.

In a container, you lose 2 zones, so your winter will be like zone 3 unless you bring the container inside, and a screened patio may not be sufficient protection.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 12:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
achnatherum(z4or3 Ontario)

I had a really close look at your picture & I would be willing to bet that it is Phlaris and I think it would be fine in your porch or ... if you like the look of it, you could always overwinter it indoors ....

I always tend to err on the side of caution & tend to agree with donn. I have always dug my pots of grass into the veggie garden over the winter. However, since moving north another 1.5 zones, I am finding that I am probably over-cautious. Many of the nurseries up here overwinter their perennial pots outdoors & above ground - yikes eh?.

Note: I still dig my potted hostas & grasses into the ground - then I don't worry about watering & I know that they will survive.
A.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 8:20AM
More Discussions
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
my pink pampas grasses
hello again.........I posted my disaster in the spring...
casagrande
Can anyone ID the plant
I saw a beautiful grass outside a mall. Does anyone...
Chipeony
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™