Using Groundcovers As Mulch

pam_3(GA 7b)October 4, 2009

Since the flood washed away all the mulch in the back 40, I've been thinking of installing something that is made of tougher stuff. I realize that some folks are calling the recent flooding a one hundred year event, but we've had this happen a few times in the 8 years we've been here. So...I'm looking for ideas for groundcovers that could act as mulch. I want something to compete with weeds, but allow for shrubs and perennials to grow. I have part sun (which is closest to our creek), part shade, and mostly shade. It can be pretty moist back there, particularly after a rain. But it does drain. I can always put in some sand or something to help drainage. (For example: I think a low thyme would be great, but I think it may be too moist.) Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

I suggest possibly a trip to the Georgia Perimiter Botanical garden. They have damp shady locations, and damp sunny locations - that might be a good help to you.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 7:40PM
jvan

Ajuga or bugle weed as it's also know works great. I've planted it in fully shaded areas where it grows wonderfully. It will grow fine in partial shade as well. I planted some beneath my river birch on a slope and it's held on and started to spread. As its spread I've taken smaller plants from the original and moved them to further protect against erosion. The plant has down well and has great spikes of purple flowers in the spring. All the plants have held their ground during the tons of rain we've had. Reminds me I need to go propagate some more..!

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 8:50PM
natalie4b(7b GA)

I second ajuga. In shady wet spots it does wonders, and multiplies very well. Easy to transplant, too.
~Natalie

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 11:26PM
pam_3(GA 7b)

Can you plant it alongside perennials? Without fear of it taking over?

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 7:29AM
More Discussions
How to prune a too tall crape myrtle?
I recently bought an old house with a potentially great...
jenarnow
Camellia sinensis
"Camellia Sinensis" Tolerates more sun than...
girlgroupgirl
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
pomegranates
UGA's website said that most named pomegranates do...
esthermgr
Help in Southern IL
I moved from NW GA to near St Louis, Paduch, the Ohio...
organic_gardenhag
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™