Are Ornamental Grasses An Option?
I don't post often but I enjoy reading posts of others and would like to first thank you all, I have learned so much!
I have a wooded area which I have cleared of weeds. The area is about 30' deep by 185' wide. There is a narrow strip of golf course and other homes on the other side. I have left the nice big trees but I would like to screen off the golf course and homes because I find the golf carts to be very distracting. If possible, I would also like to plant something that would grow thick enough to prevent or "catch"/slow down golf balls from flying into our yard. I thought it would be nice to plant ornamental grass back there but I don't know if this would be an option because of what I would need:
1. Height - Must be over 4 foot tall to provide privacy
2. Can be either clumping or spreading
3. More interested in thick growing grass that will stay tall vs fancy flowering grasses but anything pretty is a bonus!
4. Soil is very draining and loose, not heavy
5. Need grass that I don't have to water all the time after established
6. Wooded area faces south but the trees make dappled shade. Depending on the area, there's about 3 - 4 hours of sun per day, most areas are dappled sun all day.
Is ornamental grass an option for me? If so, what do you recommend? I've seen some really tall grasses in landscaping books that would be perfect but I don't know if they can grow with dappled sun. I'd really appreciate your suggestions.