I need suggestions on grass for a privacy screen

birdribOctober 20, 2012

I live on the low-side of a very busy highway so i have three concerns: Noise,Privacy, and salt resistance from winter road salt. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions a nice dense and tall grass for my predicament. Also how easy is it to control and when should i cut it down? Are there any evergreen varieties? I am relatively new to gardening but I have a lot of planting to do, so i'll surely be back with more questions.

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spiderjoe

Miscanthus �Giganteus� would make a good barrier. I'd pick one of the varigated varieties because it's looks better from a distance. Like Miscanthus giganteus 'Lottum'
9' x 6'

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 9:47AM
donn_(7b-8a)

As much as I love grasses, I probably wouldn't use one for your purpose. The only screen-sized grasses in your zone would be warm season varieties which have to be cut to the ground in early spring, and will not regain screen height until early summer at the earliest. That leaves you without a screen for quite a while. There are no evergreen screen-sized grasses which will live in your zone...other than that grass everyone forgets is a grass...Bamboo.

Check out Fargesia dracocephala 'Rufa.' It grows 7-10 feet tall, is not invasive and is evergreen. In a few years, you'll have a beautiful, nearly maintenance-free screen.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 10:11AM
birdrib

I forgot to mention it is full sun and relatively sandy soil.
Will the fargesia do ok up there? Where i am thinking of planting is actually on top of a 5 foot retaining wall. I can not build a Privacy fence more than 3 feet high in this area due to city ordinance.The rest of my property sits on the low side of that retaining wall. Also, how does bamboo do with salt spray in the winter. It will be planted about 18 feet from a very heavily traveled road. Thanks don and spider.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 1:18PM
donn_(7b-8a)

This specific Fargesia will handle full sun as long as you keep it irrigated, and sandy soil is fine. As far as salt spray from the highway, I doubt if it would get enough to harm it. 18' back and 5' up is a long way. If the salt and ice damage it, it would only be foliage, which would be replaced the following year.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Starting Miscanthus grass from seed
Wanting to know if it's possible for us to sow some...
candicenovitzke
Pennisetum Advena/Setaceum Rubrum
Hi. I recently fell in love with the above grasses...
kaydarling
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
Sponsored Products
Sebastian Freestanding Tub Faucet, Supplies, Drain - Lever Handles
Signature Hardware
Free Standing Brass Toilet Paper Holder
TheBathOutlet
RGB 5050 Pixel Control LED Super Flat Rope, 56/m, White Finish, Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
New Traditional Turkish Oushak 8'x10' Antiqued Hand Knotted Blue Wool Rug H3548
BH Sun Inc
Luxury Beige Stone Bathroom Sink By MaestroBath
maestrobath
Bruck | Chroma Mag I Spot
$337.50 | YLighting
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Ikat Blue / Green 5 ft. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Simpatico Orangegris Shea Yellow Hand Off-White
$29.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™