Divide now or wait until Spring?

gingerroottx(7)October 28, 2005

I have a decent sized clump of Maiden grass I'd like to get a start from and replant nearby. It's beginning to get chilly here in NC but no freezing temps yet. Would it be wiser to wait until Spring or do you think I can pull it off now without any complications?

thanks for your advice

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

I'd wait until spring. Warm season grasses like Miscanthus enter a period of root dormancy in late summer or fall which makes dividing them late season somewhat problematical. Since the roots are not in active growth like they are with many other plants at this time of year, it is iffy whether the division will take over the winter. For best results, I'd wait until late winter or early spring when new growth begins and you typically do your cutting back for the season.

Ditto with your proposal to snag a clump of J. blood grass from the restaurant planting in another thread :-)

Bookmark   October 29, 2005 at 9:35AM
BruMeta(z5aNY)

Do what the Miscanthus is doing: chill. Wait until Spring when success should be guaranteed.

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 6:46PM
Katt(5b)

Definitely give it a Spring dividing,they all seem to take their time rooting and settling in,likely won't achieve full height the first Summer,but....wouldn't you rather move when the weather is only going to get better?

Bookmark   November 21, 2005 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
my pink pampas grasses
hello again.........I posted my disaster in the spring...
casagrande
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™