What is this... thing?

cowabunga1(Zone 6)November 5, 2005

Hello,

I saw this squash at the supermarket at the bottom of the bin. It was the only one like it there so I had to take him home. :) There was no sign or sticker that told me what variety it is. I've looked online but can't find the answer. Anyone know what this is? Thanks

~Sam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lillie1441(b3 TX)

Looks like some type of ornamental gourd.I have seen one that looks like that but can't rmemember the name.I'll keep looking......Lillie

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 6:56AM
Tomato_Worm59(OK)

Whatever it is, would you share some of the seeds for postage?

Bookmark   November 8, 2005 at 10:25AM
kms4me

Wow.. that is intriguing and CREEPY at the same time... I probably would have brought it home too.

Kate

Bookmark   November 8, 2005 at 11:31PM
ssowieja(4)

It looks like a warty gourd but I'm not sure if it's a hard shell or an ornamental. It looks big so it might be hardshell.
I don't know if these pictures will help or not but click on the links and have a look.
Sue
http://americangourdsociety.org/FAQ.html

Bookmark   November 9, 2005 at 7:08PM
cowabunga1(Zone 6)

Thanks so much for the replies. sswieja, thanks for the link - I think it might be a warted ornamental too but mine is much larger (about 12" across). Anyway, the thing has rotted and made a big mess on our carpet - peeww! :) Was only able to save a few seeds for myself (sorry tomatoe_worm59 maybe next year?) Still, I'd like to know what it is. It would've made a nice ugly jack-o-lantern for halloween. I'm joining a gourd group on yahoo in hopes of someone there knowing the answer. I'll keep you all posted.

~Sam

Bookmark   November 11, 2005 at 3:05AM
susansphn(So California)

LOOKS LIKE A HARD SHELL WARTY WAS SOMEHOW INVOLVED IN ORIGIN OF THAT PUPPY! BUT BECAUSE GOURDS WILL CROSS POLLINATE WITH OTHER SQUASH VARIETIES.. THAT MAY BE A HECK OF A HYBRID!! SUSAN IN SO CAL.... PRES. ORANGE CO GOURD SOCIETY

Bookmark   November 11, 2005 at 12:52PM
cowabunga1(Zone 6)

Wow! Thanks susansphn! That is probably what it is - a hybrid. I found a picture of a hard shell warty You think there is any chance that the seeds will produce a similar gourd? I am planning on growing pumpkins too this year. How far apart do the plants need to be so that they don't cross? thanks.

~Sam

Bookmark   November 13, 2005 at 12:54AM
sowngrow(TX8)

It's hard to say if the seeds will produce a similiar gourd. It depends on whether other varieties were grown in the vicinity of that one. It's different. Would you really like to reproduce something that looks like that?
;-)

Bookmark   November 13, 2005 at 6:58PM
weirdtrev

Since no one has throw out any names I will. Based on the size and shape of the stem I would say it is a cucurbita maxima pumpkin. Specifically a Galuese d'Eysines also known as Courge Brodee Galeuse, Galeux d'Eysines, Giraumon Galeux d'Eysines, and Warted Sugar Marrow. Even if that isn't in fact what it is and it is just a mutant the pumpkin I have listed has all the characteristics that you all find so interesting. I don't know how to post pictures on here but just search for images on google.

Bookmark   January 18, 2006 at 10:37PM
loislips(z5mi)

I just recieved a sed catalog from Seed Savers Exchange & there is a picture of this warty thing. It is called Bule, (Boo-lay) unique hard shelled FRENCH GOUR FOR DRYING

I just recieved a seed catalog from Seed Savers Exchange, & this warty thing is shown in it. It is called Bule (Boo-lay)
A unique hard-shelled French gourd for drying.similar oin shape to alarge apple gourd. entire gourd is covered with small warts or tooth-like bumps. Vigorous vines ! Address for catalog is 3094 North Winn Road, Decorah, Ia 52101 Seeds are 25 for $2.50 . I hope this helps for those who want seeds. Lois

Bookmark   January 21, 2006 at 1:07PM
elder(6VA)

Scroll down to, and click on, the thread titled Large Gourd Id. Click on the follow-up message by mogardening of Fri Dec 2, 05, then click on Japan Gourd Chart, and take a look at a gourd named Ibo.
Another possibility - could this be nothing more than a badly diseased pumpkin (which would explain why it went rotten instead of hard)?.....Elder

Bookmark   January 21, 2006 at 10:09PM
cowabunga1(Zone 6)

thanks everyone! I'm pretty sure, weirdtrev, that your suggestions are correct. I found this link here (wish I spoke french) Could this thing possibly be edible? not that I'd try until I knew 100%. :) You all have been very helpful.

~Sam

Bookmark   January 22, 2006 at 2:29AM
lejardinier37(France)

Hello,

I'm french with a bad english language.
This thing is Cucurbita maxima 'Galeux d'Eysines, she is very very good to eat.
This year i have some who are very warty, and other who are just a little warty. On the same plant, it is strange.

She can't dry

Bookmark   January 22, 2006 at 2:53PM
passiflora2762(8/central texas)

you can acheive this same effect on a pumpkin that is grown in severe drought conditions, there is a variety of warted squash's, but I'll bet this was water stsrved while growing.

Bookmark   January 29, 2006 at 12:27PM
cowabunga1(Zone 6)

I've planted the seeds this spring and made a followup post here. :)

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 3:25PM
lelia_gardener

I planted 7 Galeux d'Eysines (squash seeds last May & now have about 25 huge beautiful squash on my vines which travel extensively. They weigh in at an average of 12 pounds, are wonderful eating, delicate, like the French & fulfilling to the belly & soul. I have lots of seeds.
lightascolor@frontier.net

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Squash varities
Hi! I've never cared much for squash, mostly due to...
HollowOakFarm
Blue Gyroscope
Cucurbita maxima 'Blue Gyroscope' is a cross with mother...
acorneti
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™