Small holes in my yard

Drakens(5a)July 24, 2006

I am curious as to what these holes are in my yard. They're no bigger than a quarter and seem to be quite deep. As an experiment, and as part of cleaning my well, I let a hose run down one of these holes for 24 hours, checking it every hour to see if it had overflowed. It never did. The whole time I checked my neighbors yards and all around but no flooding anywhere, absolutely no sign of where the water went. So what small creature was ingenious enough that it could burrow a tunnel that could take that much water and not flood? This just amazes me, the water had to have gone somewhere!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

snakes?

or chipmunks?

I'm thinking the former. We have them here too.

Bookmark   August 2, 2006 at 5:22PM
ahorselover

I have the same thing in my yard here in GA. Do you see a pattern or are they randomly spread throughout the yard? I see discussions that grubs dig holes but my holes seem too big for that. The holes are perfectly round, about the size of a quarter or even a half dollar.What about crawldads? Someone on another site suggested that.

Bookmark   August 5, 2006 at 7:20AM
lee53011(5)

Many times holes are caused by animals LOOKING for grubs. Those would be the small holes that are not very deep. A hole that won't fill with water would have to be a chipmunk hole or similar.

Lee

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 6:47PM
redshoe(z5IL)

It could be the hole of the 13 lined ground squirel. I have those in my yard, those little devils are cute and they don't damage my garden. They do eat lots of bugs and weed seeds.

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 5:49PM
poppydog(5)

Have you seen Meerkat Manor on Animal Planet? Ok, unless you live in Africa, I'm just kidding.

Bookmark   August 31, 2006 at 2:52AM
More Discussions
Osmanthus fragrans aurantiacus
Has anyone grown Osmanthus fragrans in Niagara? Can...
hikerwanda
Prune back and move???
Within the next month we will be tearing out our old...
pattio2
Privet and Long Hedges in Zone 5?
I am looking to grow about 125 feet of hedge along...
simonbloomfield5a
Calandrinia
Anyone in Michigan ever grow this? I am wondering if...
lilyd74
Alert - SVB season is now underway
In southwest Michigan - first eggs sighted and dealt...
lilyd74
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™