The growing of an Elephant Ear

durgandurgan(5B)July 4, 2006

http://xrl.us/odz8

Pictures of a the first Elephant Ear

These are consolidated pictures of my experience growing my first Elephant Ear. (Colocasia Esculentum)

Why grow it anyway? This plant is rare in Zone 5 and is an eye-catching plant in the home garden. If successful as to size, I may put it on the front lawn next year. Different anyway!

Durgan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Experience

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harrietna(z5/6aMI)

I, too, grew an Elephant Ear for the first time this year. The only thing I did different, though, was plant mine in one of those really large light-weight pots. It's on my patio and growing like gangbusters, like yours. I'm really impressed with it and hope to be able to take it indoors maybe for the winter, or at least, into my garage to winter-over. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures to share.

Harriet

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 3:52PM
wayner2000(5b Ontario)

Hi, I usually start mine indoors in March and by the time May 24 rolls around they are big, bold and beautifull. Wayne

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 6:42PM
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

Neat pictures, Durgan . Mine are not doing well this year at all. Like Wayne I usually start mine indoors in March, but this year it was later. Mine are up now, but more like yours on day 45. Ah well, maybe by the end of the summer, they will look like yours and Wayne's.

By the way, Wayne has a BEAUTIFUL garden, the last time I saw it. I trust it is doing well this year as well under his attentive care.

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 10:40PM
diane_v_44(Z6)

very well done, well shown, well grown.

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 4:48AM
peter4(6a MI)

Do you have to buy a new one every year, or is there a way to save the growing one and have it come up next year?

Bookmark   July 28, 2006 at 11:19PM
karen_w(5 MI)

I kept one that I grew last year. Just took it out of the pot before the first frost, cut off the leaves at the base, shook off as much dirt as possible and let it dry out. I kept it in a paper bag in a small pantry off my garage that's not heated, but it doesn't freeze either. I potted it up in the spring. Thought it was dead. I swear, it took 6-8 weeks before I saw any shoots, but it's going nuts now. I left its "nose" out of the dirt, much like you'd do with an amaryllis you're forcing. It seems to like that. More leaves than last year when I buried the whole thing. K.

Bookmark   July 29, 2006 at 8:27PM
brenda158(z5bHamilton,ON)

This is my 3rd season with the same bulbs. Dig them up in the fall, shake excess dirt off and then I stored them in the medium that I bought the bulbs in. I just put them in my basement. My neighbour has one that came in a container 2 years ago, she just cuts it back and puts the container and all in a dark basement.
They like warm soil so I normally put in on a heat register about the end of Feb. or early Mar.

Bookmark   August 29, 2006 at 10:32PM
More Discussions
Calandrinia
Anyone in Michigan ever grow this? I am wondering if...
lilyd74
Privet and Long Hedges in Zone 5?
I am looking to grow about 125 feet of hedge along...
simonbloomfield5a
lawn moss question
I searched here and many have problems with moss in...
tewitt1949
blushing bride
Does anyone have any suggestions why my blushing brides...
hoovie
Osmanthus fragrans aurantiacus
Has anyone grown Osmanthus fragrans in Niagara? Can...
hikerwanda
Sponsored Products
USA Sports by Troy Barbell Rubber Grip Straight Bar Cable Attachment - GSB-20SR
$38.72 | Hayneedle
Matmi Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$657.60 | Bellacor
Design Toscano The Polar Bear Pair Sculpture - KY1837
$214.52 | Hayneedle
International Caravan Windsor Collection Carved Hardwood Exotic Elephant Wall Ta
Overstock.com
Barrel Vintage Leather One-Light Table Lamp with Elephant Hemp Shade
$700.00 | Bellacor
Eros Chair by Kartell
$580.00 | Lumens
Fantasy Wonder Chrome Table Lamp
$495.00 | Bellacor
Rabbit with Ears Up Garden Statue - A-073-GS
$44.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™