Anyone Out There Growing a Soursop?

billbrandi(9)May 3, 2011

I was at the local big box in St. Pete this weekend, which will remain nameless (rhymes with "gnome repo"), and was perusing their fruit tree selection when I spotted a soursop for sale. The picture on the tag looked kinda neat and, not knowing much about it (if anything), I did what any red-blooded gardener would do: I pulled out my credit card and bought it.

It's home in a container; no room in the yard. Does anyone know if a soursop will fruit from a container? I've seen several references on the internet that it "may" fruit from container but haven't seen anything from someone who has been successful at it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pepperot(FL)

Hi Bill, you might want to post this in the Tropical Fruits forum. Many of the Florida Tropical Fruits growers/experts frequent it and have experience with fruiting soursop.

I currently have one plant in container. It's a recent purchase so there will be no signs of fruiting for a while. But it seems to grow fast. It's probably best to leave it in the container if you're not zone 10B-11. It's ultra tropical and must be protected from sub 40 F temps in the winter. Unfortunately, I'm 9b. My plant will be container grown. Hope it grows well for you.

-Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Fruits Forum

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 10:37PM
fagopher(zone 5)

Bill,

I just bought mine about a month ago and is only 1-2 ft tall. I also have one from seed but is less than 1 ft tall.

I did my reasearch and found a discussion in the tropicalfruits forum that says that it can product fruit and referenced an article about it but I never found such article. Here is the discussion: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0813284731130.html?15

I think you need to grow it in pots anyway as it is very cold sensitive. I plan to have mine in pot and keep it outside most of the year but bring it indoors as soon as temperature drops to 50.

Good luck!

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 10:45AM
billbrandi(9)

thanks for the advice. Containerized it will be.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
Speaking of Coffee
I was watching an episode of Gardening Australia the...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Plant ID
Bought this plant at a garden show this weekend, and...
oldmangroot
African Queen
I started 5 seeds over a week ago and so far have 1...
garf_gw
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
What's a Native?
I've been watching Gardening Australia lately and it...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Sponsored Products
Signature Ivory Blackout Velvet Pole Pocket Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 84
$63.95 | Bellacor
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Braided Accent Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Corsica Moss
Home Depot
Matador Brown Leather/ Cotton Table Runner and Place Mats Set
Overstock.com
Eurofase 3 1/4" New Construction Low Voltage Housing
Euro Style Lighting
Landscape LED Center Mount Path Light by Kichler
$176.00 | Lumens