HELICTOTRICHON s. 'Sapphire'

newbie_2007November 8, 2009

I planted this grass last month and just wanted to confirm the facts I have seen at two nursery data sheets.

They say no maintenance, just use a plactic comb to clean it up. No cutting back. Just thought I'd check with my mentors here.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

In my zone, all I have to do is clean out dead blades. I use latex coated gloves, and it works great. In your zone, you have much more serious winters, and H. sempervirens will probably be less evergreen. If it looks especially ratty after winter, cut it back to a few inches.

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 12:30PM
newbie_2007

I checked at the local nursery here in my town and they say semi/evergreen. Have other places here growing it too for display in their lanscape entrance ways, so I'll take their lead.
Thanks Donn, right on as usual.

Bookmark   November 10, 2009 at 9:55PM
newbie_2007

I was given a few more from a garden sale. Too much rain to prep a new place for them. The grass is straw coloured and in the garage but were blue/green when I got them. Has it gone dormant? The soil has almost dried out and I need to know if I should keep them watered over the winter or plant pot and all in my veggie garden until spring? I also have 5 hostas, same thing. Snow expected next week. Did I miss the boat or will they stay sleeping until I water in the spring when planting?
There is very little light in the garage and it usually has a temperature of zero in the coldest time of winter.

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 8:19PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

If these pots are in your garage, you need to water them once in a while during the winter, not too often however. Once the soil is completely dried out, they will be dead, not just dormant.

Bookmark   December 20, 2009 at 11:51AM
newbie_2007

Thanks ontnative.
I gave them a splash of water a few days ago and they seem to be ok. A little greener now. Guess I caught it in time.

Bookmark   December 20, 2009 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
What grass is this??
Hi all, does anybody recognize this grass (the big...
linda21h
Starting Miscanthus grass from seed
Wanting to know if it's possible for us to sow some...
candicenovitzke
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™