Sprouting seeds inside a pumpkin?

elaine1960November 18, 2007

Has anyone ever encountered this and did I do something wrong? I have always purchased pumpkins and cooked them down to make fresh pumpkin pies and have never encountered this. This year I grew my own "cheese pumpkins" and while opening one found that some of the seeds inside were sprouting.The rest of the pumpkins were okay. Now the pumpkins themselves looked riped with no blemishes. I just cut open another today and found the same thing - sprouting seeds. The meat doesn't appear to be over ripe and the tecture appears okay. Did I let them over ripen on the vine? Is it okay to eat this pumpkin? The seeds do not appear to look worth roasting. Any help with this would be appreciated. I am new at this and totally confused. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

If the pumpkin gets too warm after it is harvested for a long period of time the seeds can start to sprout. It is nothing to worry about. Sometimes it just happens even if they aren't kept too warm. Oh and since I am sure you are wondering too warm would be above around 70F.

Bookmark   November 18, 2007 at 9:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elaine1960

Interesting, I guess I will have to rethink about where I store them. I thought my basement was cool enough. Thanks for the info.

Bookmark   November 21, 2007 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
? for birdhouse gourd expert growers
Just for giggles I bought a $2 pack of birdhouse gourd...
donnywayne1
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™