Smaller ornamental grasses

meslgh(DFW 8a)November 6, 2013

I'm preparing a new full sun garden bed with roses and other plants, and I'm contemplating also using ornamental grasses. I'm interested in some of the smaller grasses, less than 3' tall, but I'm not sure which one would be most suitable. I've seen information about Bouteloua 'Blonde Ambition', the various small Pennisetums (Little Piglet, Little Bunny, Hameln), and Miscanthus 'Little Kitten'. Can you compare these and tell me which you would recommend? (If there is information about my garden you need to help answer the question, just let me know!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ryanmcgarth

Well, i have not much idea about that , but in my opinion Miscanthus and Pennisetums can be a better option.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 6:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgregory_so.cntrl.IL_zone6a

I'm not an expert on ornamental grass, but I'd like to offer some suggestions anyway ;-)

Do a little research on each grass you are considering. Compare how roses will be tended in the same bed to the grass requirements.

Check to see which grasses can handle the amount of water you give your roses...

Some miscanthus may like as much water as roses and some pennisetum may like it dryer...I'm sure it varies between each variety of OG.

Your rose fertilizer regimen is another consideration when choosing an ornamental grass.

hth,
Deb

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 4:10PM
More Discussions
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™