Pink Muhly grass

petiejNovember 5, 2008

I'm in lower NC and have seen pink muhly grass in only one place; in a small public park. I have found a local nursery who carries it in very small quantites. It is beautiful in it's pink blooming stage! I'd love to get some if it's low to no maintenance and doesn't get out of control. What does it look like when it doesn't have its tufts; how long do they last? In general, how does one care for it,etc. Any info, greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grass_guy

Muhlenbergia capillaris is one of my favorites in the fall. It's a great grass to use in a flowering annual and perennial display. Plant them in groups of 3 or more for a massed effect. As your perennial flowers hit late summer, this grass will be the new highlight of the bed.

Blooming starts in late summer and continues through fall. When its not in bloom, it looks like a wire grass, green upright/arching clump. The foliage is not a showoff and it's time to shine is definitely when in full bloom.

You don't really have to cut back muhly grass in spring unless it takes a winter thrashing. Clean through with a rake like you're combing the grass. If you want to trim back, don't take them to the ground like you would some other grasses...maybe 12" from the ground.

Muhly can do some re-seeding in the bed, but volunteers are pretty easy to pull out...and replant elsewhere if you like.

The link below is a great video of muhly in the landscape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Muhlenbergia capillaris video

Bookmark   November 8, 2008 at 1:29PM
bluespruce53(Dorset UK)

Can't seem to find this grass listed in the UK, or a possible var. filipes which in one reference is said to be an improvement on capillaris. Is it possible this grass does not flower in our temperate climate ?

Bookmark   December 12, 2008 at 4:29AM
frankc(z3ab)

Planted some Prairie muhly seed,which gave me a good growth. Will see if they overwinter in our zone 3 area.

Bookmark   December 13, 2008 at 12:57AM
jerryngeorgia31557(8)

I have never seen any of this except in pictures and think it is beautiful and would love to have a clump. Would you be willing to share or trade? Thanks in advance.

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Fall Planting?
I was told that its much better to plant OG in the...
juniemarie46
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™