Fountain Grass Perennial

mary_maxNovember 15, 2012

I have read that this grass should not be cut back til early spring however in my zone after a hard freeze it is lying on ground and does not look very nice. Do you cut it back or let it be? Whatever I do I want to do what is best for the plant. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgregory_so.cntrl.IL_zone6a

Hi mary-max,
To get a more informed answer it would be helpful for you would share what your growing zone is. Do you know which fountain grass you have? Can you post a pic from this summer to help identify your fountain grass?

I've read that often new (1 and 2 year old) fountain grass will flop until it matures over a few years. If your grass looks really bad, maybe cut it, but leave 2' or more height to protect it over winter.

Deb

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 8:03PM
donn_(7b-8a)

You can cut it back now, if you like. Just be sure to mulch the crown well. Put a tube of chicken wire around it, and fill it with whole dry leaves, or straw. Then remove the mulch in early spring.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 12:05PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

It annoys me when persons say go ask somewhere else but I occasionally do it myself. The people here at Ornamental Grasses Forum - GardenWeb are very good at answering these sorts of questions.

This post was edited by albert_135 on Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 16:09

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 3:37PM
dgregory_so.cntrl.IL_zone6a

albert 135, I'm not sure I understand your point in your post. I sincerely hope we answered mary_max's question with the information we had...we'd like mary to come back and talk with us more ;-)

Deb

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 6:21PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Dgregory ... albert 135, I'm not sure I understand your point in your post

My post was a mistake. You are quite right, it was incomprehensible. Please disregard.

BTW, GW is working on a new edit feature. Perhaps someday I will be able to remove such silliness.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
Fall Planting?
I was told that its much better to plant OG in the...
juniemarie46
Can anyone ID the plant
I saw a beautiful grass outside a mall. Does anyone...
Chipeony
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™