Fountain Grass Perennial

mary_maxNovember 15, 2012

I have read that this grass should not be cut back til early spring however in my zone after a hard freeze it is lying on ground and does not look very nice. Do you cut it back or let it be? Whatever I do I want to do what is best for the plant. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgregory_so.cntrl.IL_zone6a

Hi mary-max,
To get a more informed answer it would be helpful for you would share what your growing zone is. Do you know which fountain grass you have? Can you post a pic from this summer to help identify your fountain grass?

I've read that often new (1 and 2 year old) fountain grass will flop until it matures over a few years. If your grass looks really bad, maybe cut it, but leave 2' or more height to protect it over winter.

Deb

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 8:03PM
donn_(7b-8a)

You can cut it back now, if you like. Just be sure to mulch the crown well. Put a tube of chicken wire around it, and fill it with whole dry leaves, or straw. Then remove the mulch in early spring.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 12:05PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

It annoys me when persons say go ask somewhere else but I occasionally do it myself. The people here at Ornamental Grasses Forum - GardenWeb are very good at answering these sorts of questions.

This post was edited by albert_135 on Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 16:09

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 3:37PM
dgregory_so.cntrl.IL_zone6a

albert 135, I'm not sure I understand your point in your post. I sincerely hope we answered mary_max's question with the information we had...we'd like mary to come back and talk with us more ;-)

Deb

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 6:21PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Dgregory ... albert 135, I'm not sure I understand your point in your post

My post was a mistake. You are quite right, it was incomprehensible. Please disregard.

BTW, GW is working on a new edit feature. Perhaps someday I will be able to remove such silliness.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™