Disposing of pumpkin after Hollloween

jeannie7November 30, 2007

It was, I think, a year ago, when we last discussed what was the proper method of disposing of pumpkins after we had used the pulp, or however we had used the plant.

Some said they could be thrown onto the compost pile, and either chopped up further to advance the breakdown or not.

Had we come to some conclusion at that time? I cut up 5 pumpkins we had used for our Jack-O-Lanterns last year; this year we were away and didn't have any need. But, this past summer I experienced no growing of pumpkin seeds in my compost...I had professed the whole plant could be thus disposed of. Seems my compost did not produce what many had said would happen.

I'm wondering if others have had it the same way or have they indeed had pumpkins growing in their compost.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

There is a composting forum on here and they will tell you that pumpkins are a great addition to a pile. And they will also tell you that if you do have seeds that sprout that your compost pile doesn't get hot enough (160 F). I compost my pumpkins all the time. If you get seeds that sprout you can just turn the pile and they will die (if that's what you want).

Bookmark   November 30, 2007 at 7:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prairiegirlz5

I did have a pumpkin sprout in my compost pile, which isn't really hot enough, but it's in the far corner of the yard where I can dump organics that will break down eventually. I just draped the vine over the pile, it looked pretty cool all summer, not as ugly, LOL. It didn't fruit, is that because the blossoms were touching the ground??

Bookmark   December 8, 2007 at 9:20PM
More Discussions
Argentine Primitive
Who sells or swaps seed of Cucurbita maxima 'Argentine...
acorneti
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
Sponsored Products
Square Black Granite Stone Bathroom Vessel Sink - KIAMA SHADOW
Living'ROC
Monogram Correspondence Cards
$24.00 | Horchow
Reading Rack for Eubank Tub Caddy
Signature Hardware
Safavieh Area Rug: Wyndham Grey/Ivory 7' x 7' Round
Home Depot
National Geographic Panthera Pardus Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus