Ruby Grass 'Savannah'

donn_(7b-8a)November 24, 2006

Melinus nerviglumis 'Savannah' or Rhynchelytrum nerviglume 'Savannah.'

A beautiful tropical grass, judging from pictures in Google. I just received some seeds, and plant to grow it next year as an annual.

Anyone have experience with this grass?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pudge 2b

I'm sure my zone 2 experience won't be of much use to you, Donn, but seeing as how no one else has info to offer...

I tried this grass twice, and never did see them bloom. I suppose my season is either not long enough or not consistently hot enough. Both times they were started early indoors (early March) then moved to the greenhouse (mid-April) and eventually planted out end-May/June. One year they were planted in large pots and another year in the garden. Both times there was lots of green and appeared to grow well, just no blooms - not even a hint.

Seeds were easy to germinate and put on growth quickly.

I believe they're native to Africa and need lots of hot days. I also recall they prefer dry soil.

Such a beautiful grass - I'll have to just continue to drool over pictures. Good luck with yours.

Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 10:09PM
donn_(7b-8a)

Thanks, Pudge. The trader I got them from is in zone 6, and she collected them from a show garden there. I expect I'll sow them in jugs outdoors in early April. I doubt if they'd benefit from winter sowing, being a tropical. I've had much better luck spring sowing warm season grasses.

I only got about 100 seeds, so I'll concentrate on growing them for seed for future years. Did you sow them individually, or in clumps?

Bookmark   December 1, 2006 at 12:24PM
Pudge 2b

I sowed several seeds to a pot, Donn.

Bookmark   December 3, 2006 at 11:26PM
atash(8b)

Mine was just getting going in earnest when a severe early freeze hit. I did have snow cover and it was in a relatively sheltered spot.

It doesn't look very good anymore. The leaves curled up and are largely dried out. I hope it recovers.

Yes, it is native to Africa, where it is widespread. That particular cultivar is supposed to be native to South Africa and was supposed to be a bit hardier, to USDA z8. I'm in z8 but someone forgot to tell it that it should be hardy here.

It was slow-growing at first, but picked up rapidly in cooler weather, probably because any one of several fungus diseases I have go dormant in cool weather. It was looking good right before the freeze hit, but it had not yet bloomed.

Bookmark   December 8, 2006 at 2:26AM
More Discussions
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
Purple Majesty Millet from seed?
I grew Purple Magesty Millet for the first time this...
treemedic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™