Yellow jackets in garden

MAKgardenOctober 29, 2012

I tried to harvest my sweet potatoes this morning and suddenly the area was swarming with yellow jackets. If I can locate the entrance to the nest and treat the area with pyrethrin spray, how much of the sweet potato crop would be affected? (The bed is 4' x 8'.) When would it be safe to plant again in this soil?

MAK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neptune24

Well, just tell the yellow jackets to GO BACK TO GEORGIA TECH where they belong!!!!! ;)

Seriously, I don't know the answer to your question--I just planted sweet potatoes for the very first time this year. Should we be harvesting about them now? I don't think it will get cold enough tomorrow night to kill them, but you never know.

I hope you don't get stung. :)

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 2:36AM
neptune24

Incidentally, to harvest the sweet potatoes, do we just dig around the plants gently? And then we're supposed to let them dry out in the sun for a few days or something? My soil is a bit poor, so I hope I don't dig them up only to find nothing's there. ;)

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 2:50AM
frankielynnsie

We have had a bad year for yellow jacket nests. After trying several treatments and not being successful, a long time gardener said to use seven dust. I have treated 7 holes so far and they haven't come back.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
Is anyone using rock dust in the garden?
I learned about rock dust a few days ago and I want...
kngskid
Houston triumph tulips
Hi. In georgia, what month do Houston Triumph Tulips...
tulipwedding
Dracaena Massangeana - leaves are turning yellow and then brown!!
Hello, I bought a Dracaena Massangeana plant about...
daniel159
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™