acorn squash ...first time growing for me

connie1946(4)August 15, 2005

I planted one acorn squash plant this sping. It is now over 4 feet in diameter...has many blossoms. To my great surprise I peeked under the leaves and there sits a big squash already. The reason I am surprised it that everything else on the plant seems to be in a different stage...and there is only one squash and many blossoms. I never grew veggies (except tomatoes) before. The reason I ask this perhaps childish question is I just figured if there is one squash the plant ought to have several at that stage? Do they grow late into the fall? How do I know when to pick this squash? It is dark green and I see a orange spot on it. Is it important to pick it now. Or will it get bigger?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squinn(Z5)

Hope this link helps
http://www.farm-garden.com/growing-vegetables/35/

Bookmark   August 15, 2005 at 10:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grannymarsh(z4-5 U.P. MICH)

If the stem that attaches the squash to the vine is withered looking and tough and the squash is dark green, IMHP, I would cut it off and EAT It. This may prod the vine to get producing. No, it is not unusual for plants to be all in different stages or to be mostly all in the same stage. The plant will grow until hard frost kills it.

Bookmark   August 16, 2005 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
blushing bride
Does anyone have any suggestions why my blushing brides...
hoovie
quality nurseries in ne ind/nw ill
especially along the US 30 corridor between Merrillville...
mrgpag
Transplanting perennials in wintertime (from IL to IN)
I need some advice. I want to transplant many of my...
Tammyellers990
Staghorn Sumac
I would like to try transplanting some small sumac...
wendy2shoes
Privet and Long Hedges in Zone 5?
I am looking to grow about 125 feet of hedge along...
simonbloomfield5a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™