Opinions on Tall Miscanthus

grassboroNovember 29, 2010

I have been looking at miscanthuses to decide on two tall semi-tall plants. The more I look the more I find and then change my mind. I want something in the 7-8 foot range that has a lot of foliage height. I came across the RHS Miscanthus Trial site which is helpful in giving both the foliage and plume height.

So what opinions are there on Grosse Fontaine and Silberfeder. I may have enough space for both. It seems they bloom close to the same time with similar plumes. Both of these were very well rated. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Check out the comparative grass chart at bluestem.ca, listed below. They list the relative statistics of 17 different Miscanthus cultivars, and you can bore in for photographs and full descriptions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestem Ornamental Grass Comparison Chart

Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 6:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grassboro

Thanks for the link. I have been on that site and it is very helpful. They do not list Grosse Fontaine there but I have seen it elsewhere.

Both seem very good. I need to select one as my large focal point grass. Being 5-6 ft. foliage tall is great. Plumes look nice on both. Fall color ?

I am interested in any hands on "user" experience with these grasses.

Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
Pennisetum Advena/Setaceum Rubrum
Hi. I recently fell in love with the above grasses...
kaydarling
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™