miscanthus sinensis cultivars propagated

her8866(nanjing China)November 23, 2005

Other than by division of propagate for bioenergy crop use,does anybody propagate Mischanthus sinensis cultivars for landscape by using conventional sowing methods?Was it feasible?Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Yes and yes. I've grown M.s. 'New Hybrids' and 'Central Park' with conventional sowing methods.

Bookmark   November 24, 2005 at 12:42AM
her8866(nanjing China)

Thanks Donn,till I search your 'New Hybrids'on google then I saw your article written on its seeds before.he he.I achieve the seeds of M.s.'Cosmopolitan' and 'Strictus'and 'Ãabaret'on 17th November this year.I plan to use them next spring.But I learned from others that:"A ten year study in Russia concluded Miscanthus had a high extent of self-incompatibility,low viability and extremely poor seed set in cultivated and wild populations;propagation via seed was unreliable(Nechiporenko et al.,1997)).And from recommendations for using miscanthussome of some web said :"Do not propagate Miscanthus from seed",so puzzled. I decide to have a try as u did,maybe can be ok,who knows?he he.

Bookmark   November 24, 2005 at 6:50AM
donn_(7b-8a)

I think that 'New Hybrids' has been developed to come true from seed, like it's sisters, 'Early Hybrids' and 'Late Hybrids.' It has no distinctive foliage characteristics, simply a white mid-stripe. The one successful 'Central Park' seedling is distinctly different from 'New Hybrids' with a wider and stiffer leaf, and a lighter green color. I'll try more of it next season, and see if the first seedling survives the winter.

PS...you can find 'New Hybrids' seeds at Parks, linked below. They call it Eulalia Grass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eulalia Grass

Bookmark   November 24, 2005 at 8:44AM
her8866(nanjing China)

Thanks Donn.I appreciate your help.:)

Bookmark   November 24, 2005 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™