help....

sandy1258August 12, 2008

I am rather new to gardening.. I am in Ohio in a small town called Hartville. We are doing a major overhaul in the front of our house and in the rear of our house. Need some ideas of what to plant that will be hardy and low maint. The front is shady with a few hours of sun. The back is sun to part shade. I know that I do not want rhododendrons, junipers or arborvitaes (do not like evergreens that get brown inside or eventually look ratty. I have read some postings and this appears to be the site to rely on good info. I am striving for greens, burgandy and yellow golds. I also do not want to look like everyone around me. I have looked at nine bark top grafted trees, grasses, boxwoods, barberry, sedums. I saw summer sweet clethera and was not sure as different sites say different things.. Just need some ideas I guess since I do not know alot about all of this...

Any and all of you knowledge would be appreciated...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crunchpa(z5Pa)

How about a couple photos...from not to close up.

Bookmark   August 15, 2008 at 5:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandy1258

I couldn't get pics to post. I did however hire a landscaper to do the front of the house. I like the design
and if we are not happy with some of the plants he will change them out. They start on Monday. I read quite alot of other post and you all sound like experts. Glad to know that there is a site for good information. We are still in question in the back of the house. Maybe if I can figure it out I will be able to post before and after pictures.
Again thanks for making this site a great source of information.

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 7:28AM
More Discussions
So anyone growing Virginia Bluebells?
Or more properly known as Mertensia virginica? If so,...
paul_
Flowering ash, Fraxinus ornus.
Hey all, I was reading Dirr's encyclopedia of trees...
DanMSU13
quality nurseries in ne ind/nw ill
especially along the US 30 corridor between Merrillville...
mrgpag
blushing bride
Does anyone have any suggestions why my blushing brides...
hoovie
Blueberries - To Stay in Decorative Pot Or Planted in Garden?
I was given a pot with three varieties of blueberry...
dllfb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™