liner for a raised bed garden

shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10bMay 11, 2013

My old one rotted. It was cypress lumber. I'm building a new one. I think if I installed a plastic liner the wood would last longer. A friend pointed out it is important to get plastic that won't leech nasty chemicals. I bought a pond liner and the distributer said not to use it. Can't find a non toxic one. Any ideas or thoughts please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grooveboi

Used an old 3mm pond liner for mine inside a cedar raised bed a couple years back. I repurposed it from an old pond I filled in. Are you talking about the underlayment or the liner?

I'm curious now about the reason why the distributor said not to use it. I had fish in the pond for years so I would assume the leaching would be minimal if any against wet soil versus running water.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 11:10PM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

FWIW, I don't see how a liner would make a significant difference in the life of the frame - the only thing I know that can withstand constant contact w/ soil is concrete or stone...?

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 9:58AM
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b

Thanks for your comments. I purchased a pond liner. Before I installed it, I had a conversation with a neighbor who indicated that over time it could leech chemicals into the soil. The liner was bought from home depot. They gave me the distributer where it came from. I told them of the use and they said don't use it. It comes from China and I don't trust them ala sheet rock toxins. I found a company on the web with non toxic plastic. After I talk to them I'll post more info.

My new and old beds are made from local cypress. The old one after 3 or 4 years is showing rot. I believe if I can reduce the amount of moisture on the inside of the lumber I'll get more mileage.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 10:22AM
saldut

I have several raised beds for both veggies also roses, and they are ordinary concrete blocks, have been out there over 30 years now and no problems...after awhile they get green moss and other stuff growing on them and you don't realize what they are....we just laid them on the ground , one of them we mixed some quik-mix cement and put it between them to hold them in line.... relatively cheap also....sally

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 7:01PM
jgrass

Re: Raised bed liners. Been there, done that. Wood rots and concrete blocks won't stay aligned. I went with old tires. The bigger the better. Soil environment is easy to manage and the large truck and tractor tires provide a place to sit while tending the plants. I cut the sidewall out on the up side and leave the down side intact to retain water. They last forever. Mine are going on 30 years. Haven't found any proof that they leach out. You have to burn them to produce toxic waste. Try local tire and/or truck shops. They are happy to get rid of them.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 7:13PM
More Discussions
Anyone have a azalea (coronado red)?
I picked up a couple at Home Depot yesterday (yes...
Debo214
Strawberries rotting!
Hello Florida garden friends! I am having some success...
organic_elizabeth_b
Mystery tree
Has small silvery/gray leaves, almost furry looking......
roselady35
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
What's a Native?
I've been watching Gardening Australia lately and it...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Sponsored Products
Splashnet Xpress Above Ground Pool Maintenance Kit - NA390
$86.19 | Hayneedle
Swim Time Round Rugged Steel Pool Package Multicolor - NB3304
Hayneedle
Solar Flare Polished Glass Pencil Liners
$9.95 | TileBar
Eggplant Textured Silk Shade 10x10x12 (Spider)
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
Sherry Kline Faux Silk Grommet Top 96 inch Blackout Curtain Panel Pair
Overstock.com
Metal Tile: Merola Tile Building Materials Contempo Greek Key Bronze Liner 8
$4.95 | Home Depot
Serena & Lily Herringbone Wallpaper
Serena & Lily
Black & White Medium Reusable Lunch Baggie - Set of Three
$12.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™