Luna Hibiscus-Wintering

ladyvorlonAugust 9, 2007

All my flowers are done, I have dead headed both my white and my blush, So now what?? They are both planted outdoors in the garden-not potted. They are suppose to survive -20, how do I get ready for winter, do I cut back and wrap? or?

These were my husbands additions to my gardens, as he somehow has found he likes it too...Please help! Thank you!

Nita

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracyvine(6 NE Ohio)

The hardy hibiscus really don't need too much overwinter care. I am in northern ohio and have had temps as low as -10 without trouble. Just let them die back to the ground in the cooler weather. I normally cut the woody stems all the way to the ground after the leaves drop. You can mulch over top of the cut stems. They will sprout new growth in the spring. After a few years you will notice that the hibiscus may have out grown the area you have it planted in and may want to divide it. Do this in the spring and you will get a hibiscus that will grow to about 1/2 the height you have had the previous year. I did this in the spring and was very happy with the results. I received a total of 3 plants from the one and gave 2 away.

Enjoy them!
Tracy

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 8:59PM
ladyvorlon

Thank you for your reply and your answer to my question,
I really do appreciate it!

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 7:22PM
tracyvine(6 NE Ohio)

Good luck and enjoy the blooms. One more thing is that they do drop seeds quite a bit. You may notice some sprouts showing up below your hib next year. I had 2 dozen this year. I removed them and gave some away and planted others in different parts of the yard. If you don't want it to drop seeds then just pinch off where the spent flowers were. Enjoy!
Tracy

Bookmark   August 16, 2007 at 1:11AM
More Discussions
Michigan in Spring!
At the time of writing this we are under a cover of...
GardenKiwi
Question about cow manure
I'm wondering what is best about putting actual cow...
tewitt1949
Any mushroom compost near Chicago?
Hi- I live in Evanston, and I have a garden in one...
nfriday
Calandrinia
Anyone in Michigan ever grow this? I am wondering if...
lilyd74
quality nurseries in ne ind/nw ill
especially along the US 30 corridor between Merrillville...
mrgpag
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™