Pansy diseases

bob_13(z7 GA)October 7, 2012

I just bought 20 flats of pansies I plan to plant in the same places I've been planting them for probably ten or more years. I also bought some pansy fertilizer. Instructions on the fertilizer bag say to avoid planting pansies in the same area year after year, because this can result in harmful diseases building up in the soil. I've never had a problem and I don't have any place else to plant them.

Anyone had a problem with diseases like this? I live in the Atlanta area.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosiew(8 GA)

Bob, have no idea why this caution was presented on the fert bag. Commercial landscapers here in Atlanta metro will soon be ripping out their summer beds and replacing with pansies, as they have year after year. I'm sure those beds number in the thousands. That wouldn't be happening if the fert advice was sound.

Twenty flats must put on quite a show!

Rest easy, IMO, Rosie

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 7:58PM
bob_13(z7 GA)

Thanks, Rosie. That was what I thought. I've never bought this particular fertilizer before. The man at the nursery where I bought the pansies was pushing it because it's especially for pansies. Normally I use an ordinary 10-10-10 or Osmocote.

Thanks again.

Bob

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 9:33PM
railroadrabbit(7b - Atlanta)

Everything you ever wanted to know about caring for pansies from UGA Cooperative Extension Service:
http://www.caes.uga.edu/publications/pubDetail.cfm?pk_id=7840

"Avoid using fertilizers containing high amounts of slow-release ammoniacal nitrogen."

The bulletin tells how to prepare the bed; then how to maintain it.

It seems that the diseases may be worse during warm weather, so dig up and replace with other bedding plants before warm weather in the spring to avoid the fungus among us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Success with Pansies in the Winter Landscape: A Guide for Landscape Professionals

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 12:32AM
More Discussions
have: lime tree - free to good home!
I have an unknown type of lime tree (not a dwarf) planted...
alison234
Insured Tree Removal Cmp recommendations
Is there a good INSURED & reasonable tree removal...
vnginger
Where to find African Violets in Atlanta
Does anyone that uses this forum know a nursery in...
frankielynnsie
Landscape plant suggestions please Eatonton/Milledgeville, GA
Greetings All, My husband and I have purchased a property...
motherofdog
Pomegranate tree
Will a pomegranate tree grow amd produce fruit in GA?...
natalie4b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™