Fab petunia

thonotoroseMay 1, 2012

This petunia cost about $5 in a small gallon pot. It is called Silver something and I got it at Kerby's in Brandon last fall. Last year, at another Nursery, (Marge's on Fowler in Thonotosassa) I got a pink one for $3.

These have both been stupendous plants and they last until June! The clump is about 4 X 4. All that from one plant. Next year I will be getting at least two of both.

They do not set seeds and I have not tried to root them. I don't know if they are patented.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chellamaral

Is that the same thing they call million bells?

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 8:58AM
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

I think it's probably Supertunia Vista Silverberry. I saw it growing in a display garden earlier this year. It had apparently been in place for some time because, like your plant,it was very large and weaving its way among some evergreens - quite eye catching!

There's also Vista Bubblegum, a pink, and probably the other one you bought.

You mentioned that your plants lasted until June. Is it correct to assume that they pooped out in the heat and humidity of summer?

Here is a link that might be useful: Vista Silverberry

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 9:48AM
Martina DeLuca

Your garden looks gorgeous! Love the petunia.

Something is eating my petunias. I thought it was rabbits but I have a pot of black petunias on an outdoor table in an urn and those were eaten last night too. I don't think a rabbit could get up there. :(

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 9:01PM
thonotorose

Juneroses, you're right. Supertunias!
Last year's pink was just as big and I cut it way back around the early part of June. It did collapse and die so I assume it was from the heat. I thought I would pull this one's pot into a morning sun only area and see how it does.

Thank you, Tina. The roses are really maturing and I am really getting more knowledgeable about where and how to plant them.

I think you might be having squirrel problems., They eat my daylilies and I've seen them scurrying around with caladium leaves, too. Might be because it is so dry. One was in the birdbath today and drank for a long time.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 10:02PM
Martina DeLuca

It's so weird though. I've planted Petunias in the same spot for years and nothing's ever bothered them. You're right, it has been very dry and I don't have a birdbath in that garden. Maybe I'll put one there and see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm getting better with placement of roses too and trying to add as many flowering perennials this year as I can.....more butterfly plants too...

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 5:31AM
Martina DeLuca

It's so weird though. I've planted Petunias in the same spot for years and nothing's ever bothered them. You're right, it has been very dry and I don't have a birdbath in that garden. Maybe I'll put one there and see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm getting better with placement of roses too and trying to add as many flowering perennials this year as I can.....more butterfly plants too...

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 5:37PM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

Very pretty V, your garden looks great!

Tom

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 6:04PM
More Discussions
Another coffee question
My friend gave me a box full of expired Duncan Donuts...
Debo214
Lonicera "Mandarin"
I'm interested in the observations of anyone who has...
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
Plant ID
Bought this plant at a garden show this weekend, and...
oldmangroot
Plant ID
Hi everyone, I have this "mystery" plant...
bellagirl0614
Sponsored Products
Princess Upholstery Fabric in Cornflower
$28.00 | FabricSeen
Sure Fit Cocoa Loveseat T-cushion Slipcover
Overstock.com
Reversible Mid-Century Link Pillow
Grandin Road
Glam Turquoise GLA02 Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$288.15 | Bellacor
Glam Navy GLA01 Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$288.15 | Bellacor
Brown Mykonos Wool Rug
$169.99 | zulily
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Glam Yellow 9 ft. x 12 ft.
Home Depot
Welles Leather Loveseat - Brighton Black Black
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™