Favorite Hydrangeas

frenchkittyJanuary 16, 2007

I love hydrangeas! I would like to know what kind ya'll have had success with? I have seen some beautiful purple ones, and ones that turn a burgundy color when they are ready to dry. (Love dried ones, too!) I know you can change colors with amendments to the soil such as pink to blue and visa versa, but I would like to plant several varieties. TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

The type hydrangea that turns pink in alkaline soil, blue in acid soil, and purple in neutral soil is hydrangea macrophylla or French hydrangea. My grandmother had some beautiful blue ones that she grew in fairly deep shade on a fairly damp part of her yard. I haven't grown them myself in a long time, but they're sure beautiful. As long as they get plenty of water and not too much sun, they'll do fine.
I'm thinking about ordering hydrangea arborescens, one of our native types. I've tried h. quercifolia/oak leaf hydrangea, another native, but it didn't do well for me. There are some 'lace cap' hydrangeas that are really gorgeous, but I've never tried them.
By the way, frenchkitty, they changed the zone map back to the way it was up until the early 1980's with the coast being in Zone 9. I'm right on the border of zones 8 and 9, so, since we've had warmer than normal weather for the last few years, I went with Zone 9 - if this colder weather keeps up, maybe I'll go back to Zone 8. :)
MissSherry

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
Starting SFG In Houston - Planting Suggestions
I know it's a little late in the season, but I have...
MikeMcM1956
Colorado Blue Spruce in Foley, AL
We are moving from Indiana and I'm heartbroken to be...
debidew15
Panama City Beach area, anywhere to buy Glass Gem Corn cobs?
Can anyone recommend places near Panama City Beach...
JennyJennyO
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings in one...
Florida Native
Zone 8 Hydrangea
Hi all, I was wondering what people recommended for...
mlafentres
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™