Gulf Coast Asparagus varieties

bradleyus(8)January 30, 2012

Has anyone had any luck growing asparagus in the gulf coast areas? I live close to I-10. Are there varieties available that work better this area? I've never trieds asparaugus before and would appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginia_2009(8)

Martha Washington will grow in our area, but it hasn't been very prolific for me. I mostly use it raw in salads. I live in Panama City. Good luck.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 3:46PM
jimr36(5b CO)

I just got some "Jersey Giant" variety, which I'm going to try out. This (asparagus) will be a new crop for me as well...

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 12:04PM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

I read that it doesn't do well in the gulf coast, the soil needs to get very cold, while it is in dormancy. I bought some too. I am planning on putting ice on top of the soil next winter, to see if that will work. Barbra

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 12:20PM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

I called the nursery where I bought my asparagus from to ask what variety I boutht, it was in the refrig. and just said asparagus. I was told it is UC72, does really well in South Texas. They were just beautiful fleshy roots. Barbra

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 1:06PM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

Well I just spent a week in Rockport Tx, putting in my new asparagus bed. The nurseryman told me I would not need to ice down the asparagus bed. The variety I bought does not require cold weather. I will need to add 2 inches of dirt every other week, until the bed is 8 inches deep. Thank goodness our Lowes sells broken bags half price. Barbra

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:48PM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

Just got back from the coast, the asparagus bed I put in 2 weeks ago already has plants coming up. I can't believe I already have baby asparagus . I added 1 inch of soil today, I will add one inch every other week until the bed is 8 inches deep. I was told that I need to cut down the new plants the first year, and will not be able to get any asparagus until the 2nd year. Is that true? Barbra

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 10:51PM
SoTX(8b/9a)

No, that is not true! Don't harvest any, but do let the ferns grow to feed next years crop. I have Martha Washington, Jersey Supreme, and Purple Passion & all do well.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 2:27AM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

Thanks for answering my question, my asparagus bed is full of new sprouts. I will let them grow into fern. I wish everything grew that fast. Barbra

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 5:39PM
everglades

I've raised asparagus for several years. The trick is not to cut the spears for eating for 2 years after planting- let it go to fern. Then trim the fern back to the ground every January for the new spears to come up. Good Luck

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
amaryllis planted in the ground
I have a number of amaryllis planted in the ground...
mspatrick
Song Birds and Sun what a combination
It's a beautiful morning here in Houston a bit cold...
beagreene
Caution, pruning Century plant
I have a couple of rather large century plants. Decided...
rfonte649
Anyone grow Almonds or English Walnuts?
Please Delete This Post This post was edited by mmckey2...
mmckey2
Colorado Blue Spruce in Foley, AL
We are moving from Indiana and I'm heartbroken to be...
debidew15
Sponsored Products
Winston Charleston Cast Aluminum Sling High Back Swivel Tilt Dining Chair - M670
$567.75 | Hayneedle
Rockford Carbon Oak Saddle Stained Wood Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Top Knobs Normandy S-Shaped Knob - M632
$17.73 | Hayneedle
DENY Designs Valentina Ramos Little Birds Fleece Throw Blanket - 13503-FLELAR
$59.00 | Hayneedle
Office Slope Chair in Pink
| Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Karastan Rugs Loramar Honey 5 ft. 6 in. x
Home Depot
Home Decorators Collection Cushions Red Sunbrella Round Outdoor Chair Cushion
$27.00 | Home Depot
Crimson Hastings Persian Style Super Kazak Rug 4'x5' Hand Knotted Wool Rug H3961
BH Sun Inc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™