Anybody Growing Cat's Whiskers?

pam_3(GA 7b)October 17, 2008

I saw Cat's Whiskers (Orthosiphon aristatus) online, and it looks really pretty. My Southern Living Garden Book says it's tropical, but I was wondering if anyone in the Atlanta area has had it come back.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
opal52(z7b GA)

I had them last year. Bought them at Lowe's in late summer 2006. They are supposed to be OK for zone 7, but I was advised (Garden Web) that I would have to mulch well and even then it was "iffy". So I kept them in containers under grow lights for the winter. Planted them late spring just to be on the safe side. There were very pretty. BUT, they took lots of attention because they require consistent moisture and the drought made that hard to deal with. The ones I had were white. While very pretty, I decided they were too much trouble to move under the grow lights again. I left them in ground over winter well mulched. They did not survive. Whether this was the cold weather, or affects of the drought, I can't say.

Bookmark   October 18, 2008 at 4:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pam_3(GA 7b)

Thanks for your input, opal. The spot I'm considering is next to a creek, so it tends to be a little more moist. I'd still probably have to water, if we have dry weather again, tho. I may try them and consider them annuals. It's good to know what I'm getting into.

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
online peonies
Just ordered some peonies from a California nursery...
raptor1
Insured Tree Removal Cmp recommendations
Is there a good INSURED & reasonable tree removal...
vnginger
Where should I plant a fatsia japonica?
Other than, in a milder climate. I've had it in a pot...
esga
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™