overwintering a young clematis?

Kristixx(5/MI)October 12, 2005

My daughter potted a clematis in early July for her apartment deck. It "died" back, but recovered with new shoots. Now that it is time for frost, should she bring this plant in for winter? It is still quite small, and I've offered to plant it at my home in an area I've had luck with my own clematis.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pam_aa(z5 Berwyn Il.)

I think I would do what you are suggesting, it would be the safest plan. I don't think Clematis do well inside, it might need a rest.

Bookmark   October 17, 2005 at 12:48AM
goodhors(z5 MI)

You might change it up to a slightly larger pot, then plant the whole thing into the ground. I have had good luck with putting potted plants in the ground then lifting them out come spring. Sometimes the place I want is not ready, or I run out of time, weather goes bad. Get the fall sales stuff so cheap I can't resist buying too much! This way is easy to over winter them. I fill the pot to the brim with dirt, level pot edge into the ground, so water doesn't pool up on the top. The larger pot will allow root growth over winter if ground is not frozen. I would cover it with a large pile of leaves to protect the crown on a special baby clematis.

Bookmark   October 17, 2005 at 8:18PM
Kristixx(5/MI)

Thanx, Pam and Goodhors. I planted the clematis in a larger pot, put it in the soil, and leveled the top as suggested. Now that it is May, the little clematis has sprung back healthy and growing with gusto. Soon, I will return it to my daughter. She will be pleased to see it now.

Bookmark   May 11, 2006 at 2:05PM
More Discussions
Anyone have a Weeping Willow Tree?
It seems like these are hard to find. I am in zone...
happytomato2008
New to Lilies
I am thinking of planting some kind of dark red lily...
owl9
kirkland apple
Just planted our first Kirkland apple tree. Anyone...
wannab_gardener
blushing bride
Does anyone have any suggestions why my blushing brides...
hoovie
Prune back and move???
Within the next month we will be tearing out our old...
pattio2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™