When is it too cold to plant

thegermaninmichiganOctober 26, 2006

I have created a wonderful lasagne bed and was wondering if it is already too cold to plant. I live in Ann Arbor and we have already had a few frost nights. I am thinking of bulbs and seeds at least, but may be also bushes, ground cover, etc.

What do you think? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Yvonne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol5(5SEMI)

Yvonne, I live in Adrian, about 25 miles south of Ann Arbor and I'm still moving plants around, planting bulbs, etc. I don't know what kind of seeds you have in mind? You might want to try winter sowing them. If that's new to you, log onto the winter sowing forum & check out the FAQ's. Very informative and also the folks on that forum are very helpful. I took a class last fall through the city of Adrian & the instructor says he plants sometimes to Dec. as long as the ground isn't frozen. Hope some of this helps. Happy gardening.

Carol

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 8:24PM
thegermaninmichigan

Thanks Carol. Do you live in Adrian or close by. My in-laws live in Tipton and her name is also Carol! :-))

I have started a lasagne bed ontop of my grass, so ontop of the grass I have newspapers, shredded leaves and compost. Do you think that I can just put the bulbs into the "leaves & dirt"? Seeds, I am not sure yet. I will check out the winter sowing forum - have not seen that yet.

Yvonne

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 9:12AM
carol5(5SEMI)

Yvonne, I live on Trenton Rd. on the west side of Adrian. Of course I know where Tipton is. I'm a retired realtor, so I'm familiar with Lenawee Co.

If you are planting in your lasagna bed now, you need to cut through the paper to put in your bulbs, plants etc. I have done some beds this way also. Last yr. I extended a border by the Lasagne method. The biggest advantage I could see was the fact that I didn't have to bust through all the sod & dispose of the sod too. It also helps to keep the weeds at bay.

Carol

Bookmark   November 1, 2006 at 4:51PM
thegermaninmichigan

Looks like a wonderful day today so I will plant my bulbs today. Thanks for your advice.

Yvonne

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
New to Lilies
I am thinking of planting some kind of dark red lily...
owl9
Blueberries - To Stay in Decorative Pot Or Planted in Garden?
I was given a pot with three varieties of blueberry...
dllfb
Osmanthus fragrans aurantiacus
Has anyone grown Osmanthus fragrans in Niagara? Can...
hikerwanda
lawn moss question
I searched here and many have problems with moss in...
tewitt1949
Staghorn Sumac
I would like to try transplanting some small sumac...
wendy2shoes
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™