Clumping Bamboo

gulfportgardener(MS 9)February 25, 2007

I need Clumping Bamboo.I think I have settled on the Alphone Karr variety but the prices online are HIGH and I need about 50 plants! Anyone know of any nurseries within an hour or two's drive of the MS gulf coast that sells clumping bamboo? I hate to plant regular bamboo(tho I love it) as it tends to make enemies out of neighbors, but I have GOT to put up somekind of barrier in this backyard!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Check out The Bamboo Company in Franklinton, LA.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bamboo Company

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 12:18AM
pieohmy

Thanks for the site Natal. This place is pretty close to me and I've been thinking of clumping bamboo to block out the Highway in front of us. Looks like it would be fun to just go tour the place to get information.

Bookmark   March 1, 2007 at 8:22PM
vukibuki(8 MS gulf coast)

Here is another place. Don't know if they are closer or not, but I've seen them during Garden show at the colliseum before the storm.

In any case, if you go to either one of the places, post about it. I've been looking for less common bamboos too (lost bunch of trees during the storm :-( )

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo Plantation

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 1:30PM
scottamuss

Surprisingly, Seeds for Bambusa can be found online. Some of them relatively cheap.
I picked up some Bambusa arundinacea but it hasn't germinated yet so I can't attest to the quality.

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 7:00PM
dogpooponshoes(MS Gulf Coast)

There used to be a bamboo place in Brookhaven. I've purchased the black one from them and also a lacy-leafed clumping that makes a beautiful privacy shrub. It's full and soft, unlike the typical bamboo. A closer look at the leaf reveales a curly frond-like look. Always try Glenda and Red's plants and things in the Bay for unsual stuff. Hwy. 603 off of 10. Easy to miss, on right hand side as you go towards 90, if you pass a pool place on the right you've gone too far.

Bookmark   April 13, 2007 at 10:55PM
jonpen(Zone8MS)

I have several types of running bamboo that I would be glad to share this fall. I don't have any clumping ones though.Mine are the very rampant and invasive types that might upset your neighbors.
See some of my bamboo pictures on my blog link below.
Jon on 8-7-07

Here is a link that might be useful: Mississippi Garden

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 9:56PM
Patris(9 Gulf Coast)

Hi all, I have bought from the Bamboo Plantation and they have beautiful plants and all the help you could need. Will answer all your questions and tell you what is best planted where. Prices are very good too!
Patris

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 2:21PM
prettyphysicslady(8B/N. Houston)

jonpen,

Your gardens are amazing! Thanks for the link, I enjoyed viewing all the photos.

I bought my bamboo from a company in Florida and have been happy so far. I've only had it in the ground about 6 months but it is doing well. They only sell clumpers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Bamboo

Bookmark   January 5, 2008 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
Preparing for Drywood Termite tenting
Next week I need to get my house tented for drywood termites....
gardenbysarasota
Have any of you tried straw bale gardening yet?
Hi all. Yesterday, I think it was, a Kindle Daily Deal...
magnoliasouth
Gardenias
My gardenias are looking burnt and brown please tell...
lbarrientes
hybrid tea roses
Hey all, about a month ago I bought two hybrid tea...
energy_rater_la
Desert Rose
I have had my first Desert Rose for a little over a...
bresu57
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™