Zone 8 Hydrangea

mlafentresFebruary 13, 2014

Hi all, I was wondering what people recommended for a ever blooming Hydrangea in Zone 8 near New Orleans.

Also, any thoughts on planting location would be great help too. My house faces West and that side is dominated by a Magnolia.
The East has some space but it is my back yard and gets full sun.
The North is full shade 100% because of the two story next door.
The South side also faces a street because it is a corner lot and has a sun / shade mix.

I got some great feedback from the Newbie forum, one of which was to check with folks here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davew

They will grow in sun or shade when you plant give the plant a good drink and it should do well we the flowers die remove and a second show should come along don't know what color it is but rusty water will change the color.

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 9:06PM
louisianagal(z7bMS)

Oh my there are so many hydrangeas now. There is actually a hydrangea forum, so they should know. I grow Lady in Red in the shade, Limelight in the sun, and Oakleaf hydrangea in shade. I think the Endless Summer ones are good but there seems to be a new variety each day.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 10:02AM
cagoldbear(9a - Houston)

Definitely go with an Endless Summer cultivar, they seem to do a little better with our heat. I transplanted mine to the north side of my house juuuuuust at the edge of where the sun peeks over the building, and they LOVE it. I advise the same. I also transplanted a little one that someone had planted under a bush (what the...??) beneath my oak tree's outer reaches, so it gets dappled shade. It has taken off like crazy, loves that location. That one is a Glowing Ember or something like that, stays smaller.

For your described situation, I might suggest putting one either at the sun/shade line on the north side or beneath the shade on the south side. See what that gets you, and don't spend more than $20 on each plant, in case they don't work out.

bon chance!

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
Raised Bed Garden Feb, Houston?
Hi, Everyone - we are amateurs. Last spring, we put...
row1
Have any of you tried straw bale gardening yet?
Hi all. Yesterday, I think it was, a Kindle Daily Deal...
magnoliasouth
Starting SFG In Houston - Planting Suggestions
I know it's a little late in the season, but I have...
MikeMcM1956
Ideas for battling Squash Vine Borers?
Just wondering if anyone has found good ideas for battling...
raisingmen
Song Birds and Sun what a combination
It's a beautiful morning here in Houston a bit cold...
beagreene
Sponsored Products
New Yorker Brushed Pewter Three-Light Chandelier with Flat White Opal Glass
$102.19 | Bellacor
Monarch 8.5 ft. Copper Ring Rain Chain - RNG-CF-SET OF 1
$75.87 | Hayneedle
Free Spirit Multi Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Ribbon Red - Satin Silver White Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Utopia 8-ft IC Industrial Channel, 2 x 96W T8, Single Ballast, 120/277V
LBC Lighting