That lush, 'full' look to a garden

Ann_in_Houston(z9 Houston)February 26, 2008

Once you start to have some success with bushes and plants and all, how do you add things without invading or damaging the other plants you already have. All the advice is to dig a wide hole, but I don't see how you can. So many have posted pics of beautiful, 'crowded' beds. How do you do that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_licuala(10a)

Sometimes it happens by accident. People miscalculate the mature size of their plants when they're small.

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 5:14PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

Sometimes it's a matter of luck I think, like when I planted a dark sweet potato vine that wandered around among several other plants and tied them all together. Sometimes I actually do it with some 'malice aforethought', knowing that this cute little thing will spread out and make a larger plant, and then put bulbs in where they'll have room to spread, and it doesn't take very many things like some salvias to fill space fast.

Bookmark   March 7, 2008 at 11:54PM
elphaba_gw

I think the lush look can be very nice but is often only temporary. It seems to be a product of serendipity. Enjoy it while it lasts but after some time passes, the owner is often left with a nightmare to maintain. If you do strive for this, it is best to "over-plant" with plants that are easy to pull up IMO, some have been mentioned above.

I prefer the zen look that actually allows bare mulch to show thru in spots. Seems to add an element of tranquility that the "lush" gardens lack IMO. Though I also like to view the "lush" gardens when they are at their peak, I just don't want to think about the maintenance when they start losing their luster. Each to his own.

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 3:43PM
beachplant(9b)

If you have weeds you don't have enough plants. I often dig a small hole & stuff plants in spots. If a weed can grow there so can a plant. Then if they get out of hand I just dig out what I don't want.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
Raised Bed Garden Feb, Houston?
Hi, Everyone - we are amateurs. Last spring, we put...
row1
There's Fungus Amongst-Us
Good morn, This is my second year container gardening...
Tullia
Panama City Beach area, anywhere to buy Glass Gem Corn cobs?
Can anyone recommend places near Panama City Beach...
JennyJennyO
Have any of you tried straw bale gardening yet?
Hi all. Yesterday, I think it was, a Kindle Daily Deal...
magnoliasouth
Anyone grow Almonds or English Walnuts?
Please Delete This Post This post was edited by mmckey2...
mmckey2
Sponsored Products
Campania International Estrella Planter - Set of 3 - 115123-10603
$669.99 | Hayneedle
Studio Italia Design | Tornado SO1 Outdoor Pendant Light
YLighting
43'' Bronze Heron Statue
$59.99 | zulily
Vondom | Piano Piano Outdoor Rug
YLiving.com
Hampton Bay Outdoor Lighting. 3-Light Outdoor Solar LED Mosaic Balls (3-Pack)
$39.97 | Home Depot
Alpine Girl Jumping Over Boy Garden Statue - GXT260
$179.98 | Hayneedle
Runner: Covington Florencia Beige 2' 6" x 8' 6"
Home Depot
Tall Ribbed Tin Bucket
$8.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™